Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a pair of Oakley Square Wire 2.0 but I've trashed them and need a new pair. I'd prefer non-glass and non-metal framed glasses, so I'm curious what everyone wears for riding? Please list:

Name: Oakley Square Wire 2.0
Features (or lack thereof): Polarized, non-transition, non-interchangeable, glass lenses w/metal frame
Price: ~$250 from local optometrist (but now $160 online)
Would I purchase again?: Yes! But not for riding...

· Burn baby, burn.
2,526 Posts
I like Smith Glasses with the changeable lenses.
Essentially I like them because they fit my big head well.
I have tried Oakleys but they are impossibly tight on me.
I have had the Smith Mainline's which I really liked. I had about 5 different coloured lenses for them.
I have just replaced these with Smith Reactors. Basically all of my glasses (for cycling or otherwise are Smith's because they just fit right for me.

Name: Smith Reactor
Features: 3 interchangeable lenses, "plastic" frame with no lower frame.
Price: $80 plus $20 shipping to Australia
Would I purchase again?: Too early to tell as I only received these yesterday, but based on previous experience with 3 separate pair of Smiths, I would think so.

· Registered
797 Posts
I have thease realy cool(?) 80's style wrap arround shades, that once said "Hoosier racing tires" on them.
My freind who owns a tire shop gave me 3 pair of them to me some yers ago. (He loves to promote his product)
The wrap arround seems to provide good eye coverage so I see no need to update them.

· Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
Like FTR, I have a big head, and used Smith for a long time (Mainline, Diablo, a couple of others).
I've also used Nike Tarj.

I currently wear Tifosi Kilo. They look good, they're durable,comfortable, and come with 3 sets of lenses, the optics are awesome, and they're less than half the price of the cheapest Smith I've worn.

They are also durable.

· Registered
132 Posts
Visitor302 said:
I have thease realy cool(?) 80's style wrap arround shades, that once said "Hoosier racing tires" on them.
My freind who owns a tire shop gave me 3 pair of them to me some yers ago. (He loves to promote his product)
The wrap arround seems to provide good eye coverage so I see no need to update them.
I hope this is a joke man..... if it isn't you seriously need to get some style advice:nono: . Those are bad enough I may send you an old pair of my sunglasses!!

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Serfas, because they are one of our sponsors.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
I have a couple pairs of Oakleys: Crosshairs for casual wear (silver metal frame, dark green lens), MonsterDogs for riding (turtle (tortoise?) O-matter frames, amber lens) , and some useless older A-frames that need new lenses.

I want a pair of retro flou green Bolle Edge II.

And classic BluBlockers for wilderness activities.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I have an old pair of Micro Edge with yellow lenses for rain or overcast weather.
I also have the original Oakley M-frames. They are so old, they say Oakley on the side, instead of just an "O".

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
I have a pair of monster dogs I wear around, but use a piece of hell single lense deal from nashbar when on the bike. Sometimes when it's bright I'll use an old pair of eye jackets.

· Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I wear those semi-cheapo (made in China, as is everything) Performance glasses that have three different lenses (clear, orange, tinted). I mainly use the orange lenses since they seem to enhance contrast no matter what sort of conditions the weather is like.

· Registered
381 Posts
I wear a pair of Uvex Genesis glasses with a blue frame and mirror blue lenses while riding. I also have a clear lens for this same frame for night or rainy day riding. Optics are good, they are vented well and rarely fog up, they are fairly stylish, and you can't beat the price. I bought mine at Lab Safety Supply ( www.labsafety.com ) for about $20.00 a couple of years ago with two extra pairs of lenses. This model has been replaced by the Genesis X2, which is priced about the same.

Later,

Jay B.

· Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Rudy Project

Rudy Project Ekynox prescription. There's no going back after these.

I went through Zeal and Smith sunglasses before getting the Rudys. The bendable temples and actual nose bridge means no more sliding off when you get too sweaty. Go to a race and you will be surprised at how many of these you see. Not cheap but definitely an upgrade to what I have used in the past.

· What the Hell is going on
5,898 Posts
W O R D

Leopold Porkstacker said:
I wear those semi-cheapo (made in China, as is everything) Performance glasses that have three different lenses (clear, orange, tinted). I mainly use the orange lenses since they seem to enhance contrast no matter what sort of conditions the weather is like.
+1

I have the same Performance brand glasses. They are a discountinued model and thats way they were only $19.99. I, too, favor the orange lenses. They don't get super dark but they do their job admirably; they cut down the glare and protect my eyeballs from flying bugs and debris. They're pretty stylish too. Did I mention they were only $19.99?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.