Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a secteur elite, with michelin pro service course 4 installed. They are labeled as 25 mm, but measure closer to 28's.

1 weigh about 160 lbs or so with all of my bicycle clothing (guesstimate). My bike with everything loaded on is about 25 lbs, so 185 lbs. total.

I have been running my tires close to 90 psi, but I'm thinking this is definitely too high.

What tire pressure calculator/chart do you recommend? Some recommend I run as low as 50 psi front.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
There are about a hundred threads on this in the Wheels and Tires section, if you want lots of input on the endlessly discussed topic.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
I have a secteur elite, with michelin pro service course 4 installed. They are labeled as 25 mm, but measure closer to 28's.

1 weigh about 160 lbs or so with all of my bicycle clothing (guesstimate). My bike with everything loaded on is about 25 lbs, so 185 lbs. total.

I have been running my tires close to 90 psi, but I'm thinking this is definitely too high.

What tire pressure calculator/chart do you recommend? Some recommend I run as low as 50 psi front.
How could you possibly ignore what's been one of the most beat down dead horses ever on this forum?

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are about a hundred threads on this in the Wheels and Tires section, if you want lots of input on the endlessly discussed topic.
If it weren't for repeat questions there wouldn't but much to discuss on any forum.

I use this chart that someone posted in the wheels and tires section of the forum. FLO Cycling - Tire Pressure It says rider weight but I went by rider weight + bike weight which ends up being 105psi on my 23c tires. I experimented with other pressures from 90 to 115psi but the chart was right on the money. So I ride with 105psi.

For your 25c measuring at 28c. I would try the recommended pressure for both 25c and 28c in similar conditions. Choose whichever one feels better.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it weren't for repeat questions there wouldn't but much to discuss on any forum.

I use this chart that someone posted in the wheels and tires section of the forum. FLO Cycling - Tire Pressure It says rider weight but I went by rider weight + bike weight which ends up being 105psi on my 23c tires. I experimented with other pressures from 90 to 115psi but the chart was right on the money. So I ride with 105psi.

For your 25c measuring at 28c. I would try the recommended pressure for both 25c and 28c in similar conditions. Choose whichever one feels better.
Thanks--repped!

I'm going to experiment with lower pressure, say 75 front/85 rear.

90 front seems to generate too harsh of a ride in my case.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
I usually run psi. Bar is confusing to convert and don't even get me started on kilopascal kPa. Sheesh. 😳

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That reference gives front pressures that are too low IMO for pinch flat protection and good handling, particularity when the front wheel is weighted when standing. Tubeless will give you more leeway going low, but handling will still suffer, in my experience. Experiment and see what works for you.

·
Registered
20,756 Posts
http://www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/200903_PSIRX_Heine.pdf

This seems like a pretty nice reference. It recommends approximately 60/85 based upon total weight. Quite a bit lower than the 85 or 90 psi I was running for the front!
Use this calculator. It's based on the referenced 15% tire drop. It's never let me down. Can't remember the last time I pinch flatted.
First calculator is total PSI (both tires). 2nd calculator gives you each tire by weight distribution.
Bicycle tire pressure calculator

·
Registered
525 Posts
That reference gives front pressures that are too low IMO for pinch flat protection and good handling, particularity when the front wheel is weighted when standing.
I'm 160 to 165 lbs and run 110 front and 115 rear for 700 x 23, sometimes as low as 105 and 110. If I get below 105/110, I start getting pinch flats.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Use this calculator. It's based on the referenced 15% tire drop. It's never let me down. Can't remember the last time I pinch flatted.
First calculator is total PSI (both tires). 2nd calculator gives you each tire by weight distribution.
I'm getting 60/85 for each calculator which is consistent. I think my rear tire pressure is ok, but that the front pressure (85-90) is almost certainly too high.

I think I will try 70-75 front first, to see if I can get the comfort I want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm 160 to 165 lbs and run 110 front and 115 rear for 700 x 23, sometimes as low as 105 and 110. If I get below 105/110, I start getting pinch flats.
My tires measure at or close to 28 mm (listed at 25). 85-90 front is definitely too high. I probably weigh about 160+ full clothed/kitted up.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
By the way, even though 160 isn't really heavy for a rider don't be afraid to get bigger tires if comfort is what you're striving for (and if your bike will take them). Assuming a good quality tire you might be shocked by how little, if any, they slow you down and the extra comfort speaks for itself.
A lot depends on road conditions but comfort = speed so if you can be more comfortable with a bigger tires you just might be faster too especially for longer rides where the road vibration starts to add up.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I tried that one when you posted the link in another thread. For me the pressures were to low. At the 75psi front / 94 psi rear recommended settings it felt like there was more rolling resistance. I could drop my front pressure a little but 100 - 105 in the rear feels right for me. It might just be the cheap Vittora tires that came on my bike. I'll give it another try when I get the Conti 4000S tires. From the mtb world I know tire construction alone can cause drastic swings in choosing the right pressure.

Just remember these charts and other peoples recommendations are just good starting points. It takes a little bit of experimenting to find what works for your comfort on the road you ride with the tires that are mounted to the bike.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
He means 100 psi front and 100 psi back.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts