Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a little let down by my current set up on my last ride. Michelin Cyclocross Mud 2 and Cyclocross Jet. You can see from the picture the terrain is loose, sandy clay over a layer of hard clay, rock or concrete. The roads are littered with chunks of larger rocks, spots of mud or all mud when it rains. It is slippery and the Jets just had no grip on that stuff. I was in a 34/27 and still couldn't climb. The hills are mostly that hard-pack clay and sand. I went with that configuration thinking the Jets were "hard and fast" and at 700x30, I was hoping they could cut through the top layer of sand. The Mud 2s didn't budge, but got a pinch flat. Should I go 700x35-38 to float on top of the grit?
What do you all suggest? I would really appreciate some suggestions so I can go back and have even more fun.

Thanks in advance

· You call that running?
262 Posts
bunnyhpr said:
Try the Ritchey Excavaders
I got a pair of excavaders for training and they were easily the worst tires I have ever ridden. Mediocre traction, mediocre rolling resistance and they pack up with mud like nothing else. Once they pack up you are riding a heavy tire with zero traction.

I would recommend Racing Ralphs. They roll pretty well for a full knobby and clear mud better than most.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hmmm... Interesting. I'm not too concerned about speed. Mud in an issue though. I ran through various mudholes and streams over the path. The Michelin Jets got clogged up with clay/mud. The exposed clay is like real hard with a half inch of loose stuff on top. In the shade its slick mud. You can see the grooves in the road in one of the pictures. Those are rock hard, but the clay sweeps off when rubbed. Thanks for the suggestions... keep 'em coming please. Schwalbe Smart Sams?

· Registered
268 Posts
Dajianshan said:
Hmmm... Interesting. I'm not too concerned about speed. Mud in an issue though. I ran through various mudholes and streams over the path. The Michelin Jets got clogged up with clay/mud. The exposed clay is like real hard with a half inch of loose stuff on top. In the shade its slick mud. You can see the grooves in the road in one of the pictures. Those are rock hard, but the clay sweeps off when rubbed. Thanks for the suggestions... keep 'em coming please. Schwalbe Smart Sams?
If your Michelin Jets are getting clogged up then you have almost no hope.

· TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
rkj__ said:
I think what you really want is a mountain bike. :p
For what? I've ridden my road bike on "trails" that look like that. (Not in mud, granted.) It all just depends on how great of a lack of control you're comfortable with...

· MTBR Member
3,124 Posts
we don't really need to go into this, but...

Applesauce said:
For what? I've ridden my road bike on "trails" that look like that. (Not in mud, granted.) It all just depends on how great of a lack of control you're comfortable with...
Mountain bikes are capable of things road bikes are not. It's true. Sure, CX bikes can tackle some really gnarly trails, but mountain bikes are often better suited to off road adventures.

You know that though, so, let's just get back to finding the right CX tires.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly! This is a road... it can be ridden. It was ridden... but could be ridden BETTER with different tires. That's all. I mean... there is a Honda scooter in one of the pictures. So maybe a fatter tire 35-38 with teeth would do the trick? The bike did "good" but not "great" so I'm looking for that missing piece to make this area ride superb. There's some singletrack out there that's worse. It was the rear tire. That's all.

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
p.s. for this kind of terrain i'd stick to my cross bike.
Nimble, light, adaptable...shoulderable through the jungle... that's why I got a cross bike. This is hardly intimidating enough to warrant a Mtn. Bike... I have other schemes for one of those.

The Kross Supremes are looking like the tire.

Thanks!

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Dajianshan said:
Exactly! This is a road... it can be ridden. It was ridden... but could be ridden BETTER with different tires. That's all. I mean... there is a Honda scooter in one of the pictures. So maybe a fatter tire 35-38 with teeth would do the trick? The bike did "good" but not "great" so I'm looking for that missing piece to make this area ride superb. There's some singletrack out there that's worse. It was the rear tire. That's all.
Stronger engine. More riding, less blogging. Grip it and rip it. That is what is needed. Not more consumerism.

· Registered
268 Posts
From experience - the Kross Supremes are aggressive tires but will clog with mud if mud is present.

Looks like you need a tire with the highest volume and thickest tread but with the tread spaced widely enough not to clog up with mud.

The Maxxis Raze and Schwalbe Racing Ralph are probably closest to your requirements (both are spec'd 35 mm width)

Also, the WTB Interwolf looks interesting - 38 mm wide, with maybe enough knobs at the side for good traction.

You'll have to run all these tires at moderately high pressure to avoid pinch flats on such rocky terrain.

Another trick is to use a wider than normal rim. Try a Salsa Delgado or a 29er rim. These will allow more air volume for a better ride and more grip. Should add 2-4 mm to a tire's width.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.