Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from MTBing, I have just about everything I need in my Camelbak to get me out of the woods on those epics gone bad. What do you bring on road rides? Water bottle, tire levels, tube and a pump? More? Camelbaks taboo on road bikes?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I don't use a camelback for road riding. I don't use one for MTB riding either for that matter. But I love it for motorcycle trials riding.

On my road bikes I carry:
pump
tube (in plastic bag for protection)
patches
2 levers
mini-tool (a small Ritchey/Performance one that I need to buy more of before they stop making them)
'boot' cut from an old tire
pesta adaptor in case someone else needs it
$20 bill
$1 bill
quarters

the $1 and change are just in case I need a coke 'from a machine cause I'm bonked and out of food. It only happens about once ever 10 years, but its better to be prepared.

I wrap some duct tape around the allen key on the ritchey tool, so I have duct tape handy.
All this stuff fits into the smallest tail bag, and the pump goes on the frame. Having your tools etc. on the bike is very much preferable to carrying them. Besides feeling lighter 'cause there is less stuff on your body, there is no way you can forget your tools or pump if they are always on the bike. One pumpless 3 mile walk home is enough.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Ride accessories - road vs. MTB

X513 said:
Coming from MTBing, I have just about everything I need in my Camelbak to get me out of the woods on those epics gone bad. What do you bring on road rides? Water bottle, tire levels, tube and a pump? More? Camelbaks taboo on road bikes?
The list of items it is good to have on a road ride isn't much different than for an MTB ride. The only major difference is that on a road ride, you are more likely to be near retail establishments (and other civilization), so bringing enough food and water isn't as key if there will be places to stop and get some on the route, so you'll probably have to bring a little cash. (Of course, you also need to trade MTB specific spares and tools for road specific spares, like 700c tubes instead of 26" tubes, but you probably already figured that out.)

If you've already got all your accessories stuffed into a Camelbak, there's no reason not use that for road riding as well. (That is, if you don't mind being called a Fred by the occasional roadie snob you run into. ;-) )

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I was in the same boat as you are, coming to the road from the trail. At first I used my Camelback but got tired of swapping out inner tubes and was afraid to try to use a mini pump to blow 115psi into my road tires.

I now have a frame pump and in a little saddle bag are 3 tire levers, a patch kit and tube, mini tool, and presta-schraeder adapter (mostly so I don't lose it. I need it when I use my floor pump for the road bike - but not my presta mtb for some reason). A boot sounds like a great idea too so I'll have to see what I have in the way of old tires that I can cut up. Oh, and I use a water bottle on the road bike unless it's a really long ride.

Having all the stuff on the bike adds to one of the things I really love about road riding - I can just grab the bike and go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dir-t said:
I was in the same boat as you are, coming to the road from the trail. At first I used my Camelback but got tired of swapping out inner tubes and was afraid to try to use a mini pump to blow 115psi into my road tires.

I now have a frame pump and in a little saddle bag are 3 tire levers, a patch kit and tube, mini tool, and presta-schraeder adapter (mostly so I don't lose it. I need it when I use my floor pump for the road bike - but not my presta mtb for some reason). A boot sounds like a great idea too so I'll have to see what I have in the way of old tires that I can cut up. Oh, and I use a water bottle on the road bike unless it's a really long ride.

Having all the stuff on the bike adds to one of the things I really love about road riding - I can just grab the bike and go.

What's a boot? Seen that referenced, but no clue.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I use the Park tire boots as well

Only had to use one once, but it got me home without having to walk! They are light and easy to pack. Nice knowing if you get a slice/cut in your tire you can still get home. Plenty of people I know carry a dollar bill for the same application.

I also carry a small swiss army knife in my seat bag. The small knife and scissors has come in useful many times.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
All good advice above. I carry the same stuff as the previous posters. I don't carry a patch kit, but include 2 tubes, and my cell phone.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Cell phone, powerbar, small honeybear, minipump, spare tube, wallet with ID and some cash in it, Visine/contact lens drops, toolkit consisting of: assorted hex wrenches, mini razor knife, tire levers, presta valve adapter, patches, small screwdriver, piece of FedEx bag.

That all fits in my jersey pockets.

At least one bottle of water/gatorade, two depending on temperature, ride length and availability of refills along the way.

For off-road rides, I add a chain tool and a couple links of chain.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I also include a packet of tissues, or what the hell you call it in the States, in case I need to hit the crapper al fresco. And a very small bottle of iodine to clean out any cuts or road rash.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
this is what i bring -

on the bike:
mini pump
2 x water bottle
saddle bag - w/2 tubes, tire irons, allen key tool, patch kit

in pockets:
mini wallet w/id and cc
cash
keys
museli bar/power bar/etc
mobile phone

X513 said:

·
Registered
28 Posts
what i ride with is:
2 tire levers
presto valve stem adapter
one tube in box
wallet with $$
keys (so i can get back into the house)
cell phone

attached to the bike:
mini pump
two water bottles

attached to me:
ipod for tunes

looking at getting a cycling jersey so i can start caring a snack.

support search and rescue.............get lost US Coast Guard

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
This is a good thread. I'm just getting into road biking and had the same question.

I am surprised that so few people seem to carry first aid supplies. I know on my MTB I always have some rolled gauze, tape, san. wipes, and bandages at least. Are road riders just more careful or what? :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I'll add...

Add to the list:

- 3 or 4 paper towels folded up in the cash baggie. You could have a whole thread on what you might need a paper towel for- and I mean NEED.

- Insurance card. Let's hope it's never needed...

- Early/Late season rides up north here, where you are racing sunset: Rear blinky light, front flashy light and light weight windbreaker with reflecting stripes. Sucks to get caught out after dark if you miscalculate, get a little lost, or have a flat that takes longer to fix than anticipated. It gets cold fast after dark, too.

Count me in for:
mini-pump, tube, water and food, cash and phone

Just say no to:
everything else you MIGHT need. That's what the phone is for. 'Course, if you are hardcore and way out in the boondocks, you'll know if you should bring it or not.

'meat

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm just happy nobody...

I'm happy nobody took the ELITE ROADIE Point of View and told you that REAL ROADIES ride with only their Credit Card.... That was a comment made by STYLE GUY in Bicycling Magazine a few months back. LAME.

I take with me on the road, a mini-tool, a mini-pump, a spare tube, a cell phone, and a couple water bottles...

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
hey KenB, what the hell is a honeybear?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'm also going to start riding with chap stick( my lips get chapped really easy) and a whistle on a neck string, to alert cars that aren't paying attention.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
First aid on road rides

undies said:
I am surprised that so few people seem to carry first aid supplies. I know on my MTB I always have some rolled gauze, tape, san. wipes, and bandages at least. Are road riders just more careful or what? :)
Opportunities to get cuts and scrapes are far less common in road biking. One rarely rides a road bike through thorn thickets, or tumbles over in a rock garden. I may or may not be a typical cyclist, but I usually find myself lying on the ground a time or two on most MTB rides (geez, I really thought I could get over that stone wall!), but I usually go years between tumbles off a road bike.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
See a commonality here?

I too carry the tubes, mini-pump, money, patch-kit, multi-tool. the only thing I can add, is that a powerbar wrapper can work as a boot in a pinch with a bit of work. Getting home is getting home.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
There's no way you could carry enough gauze in your jersey pockets to treat a good case of road rash...unfortunately. I've pedals home bloody a number of times...you get some good looks from drivers..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts