Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been reading the forum for a while but my first post. I have a dilemma and I am not sure if this has been already debated here but I will ask anyway. I currently have a 2008 KHS Flite 720(that I still love) that I have for the last 2 yrs and now looking to upgrade to full carbon.

The two bikes I am looking at is the CR1 Pro & Addict R2. Basically the exact same components. I just called Scott Canada(Mica Sports and got some info from them, very helpful people) to compare the two.

What I am asking now is how much of a difference is there in the ride quality from one to the other. Comfort, road vibrations, stearing etc.... I am a avid cyclist that does MTB, cross & road. I do a average of 3 road rides a week(1 - 2 1/2hrs rides) and 2-3 road races/year. I am looking for a comfortable bike but as I have already a performance/relaxed geometry bike I am leaning towards the Addict. But from what I understand the two a very similar geometry but the Addict is a lot more responsive while giving up some comfort. I am wondering if I to simply adjust the CR1 to be a bit more aggressive in my position would be all I need.

I would like comments on these two bikes and would certainly like to hear from riders that have gone from one to the other to get their vibe. I know that a rider's need is very individual but I would still to get some feed back. Tks

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
the cr1 is relaxed geometry, the addict is aggressive race geometry.

the cr1 would be great for training, getting in shape, riding as long as you can, 50 mile rides or centuries, if you're older and joints aren't as loose as they used to be.

the addict is for racing, pretty much thats about all i can say. If you wanna go faster at the expense of body comfort. puts you in a more stretched out, aggressive position.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
ride them both if you can.

If you can not, then it is a bit of a tough call. I test rode the Addict R2 and I liked it. It is super stiff. I am pretty sure I could get used to it if I would have bought it. But, I got a smoking deal to stay on a Madone. I could not justify the extra price for a bike that I did not just love.

The addict is definitely stiffer than the madone. Almost jarringly stiff. I did not ride the CR1 though. From what I know from someone who has ridden both, the CR1 is just a bit behind the 2010 5 series madone in stiffness/agressiveness.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I think I heard they redesigned it but the rap on the Addict is that it's only a good choice for a sprinter. That may no longer be the case with new models....not sure.

Then again it's tough to separate internet and marketing buzz from reality. I have an ultra stiff aggressive bike from another brand and don't find it harsh.
Still, because you said "I am looking for a comfortable bike" there are probably safer choices than the addict.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I rode the 56 CR1 SL for about four years and the 54 R4 for two years. When I purchased the R4 frame/fork I transferred all the components, including wheels, from the CR1 SL to the R4. The main geometry differences comparing 56's are:

1. The R4 has a slightly more relaxed seat angle (73.5 v 73.3 degrees) resulting in 5mm longer Top Tube.
2. The R4 has a shorter head tube (16mm) v. the CR1 SL.
3. The R4 wheelbase is 2mm shorter than the CR1 SL.

The only thing I noticed was the R4 felt stiffer in the sense that it did not seem to dampen shock and vibration like the CR1 SL did. This was easily distinguishable on the first minute of the first ride. A lot of riders complained that when they stood up to sprint the CR1 felt a bit soft. I never felt this (160lbs). I have the R4 set up slightly lower on the front end as I always felt like I was sitting up too much on the CR1 SL.

Both handle the same to me. Both climb the same to me. And even though I think the R4 feels stiffer there isn't a noticeable difference sprinting out of the saddle. I used to race a bit and wouldn't feel at a disadvantage racing or touring either bike. The only thing that would dictate my decision on which frame to buy would be the price and fit. It is possible to get the same fit from either frame, so all else being equal I go for the cheaper one.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've got an Addict, and it has definitely made me far more attractive to women, if that was possible.
The differences are minor; maybe enough to warrant buying one over the other but probably not. Your Dad would say buy the one that fits best and offers best value for money, your evil dominatrix mistress would say buy the one you lust after.

It's not a tough call.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
one thing about scott's are they that are surprising light for their price/componentry. i blame that on the frame/fork. Worked on a women's contessa CR1 with ultegra groupset down the list including wheelset (ultegra components are heavy), i wouldn't be surprised if the bike was 16lbs flat with track pedals (girl couldn't ride clipless)

·
Registered
715 Posts
That's an old bottle cut off to hold tubes and tools and levers, it's also where I store ma protectives, should my attractiveness get me into a protection situation...

·
Registered
715 Posts
I suppose I should attempt some kind of bike magazine review style thing; it is laterally stiff and vertically compliant, and every pedal stroke is transfornmed into forward motion.
Best bike i've ridden.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I test rode both back to back recently.
While the test rides were not very long (about 15 minutes) I much preferred the Addict.
I thought the ride was quite smooth and not noticably harsher than the CR1 or any other bike. While it is a race bike it seems be following the trend of taller head tubes and more comfort. I felt the CR1 was just too relaxed for my tastes and I don't race anymore.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
olr1 said:
I suppose I should attempt some kind of bike magazine review style thing; it is laterally stiff and vertically compliant, and every pedal stroke is transfornmed into forward motion.
Best bike i've ridden.
I was just jerkin your chain. Yep. I don't know why I feel compelled to try and write sometimes. As if someone is really going to make a decision based off of these posts/opinions. Especially mine.:p Oh well. I still try to help...

·
Registered
715 Posts
No worries!
You're right, of course, internet bike recommendations are not the pinnacle of logical science. Best to buy the one that makes you smile when you see it.
I'm going to try to get a pic of the addict compared to an older flat top tube bike....

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
olr1 said:
That's an old bottle cut off to hold tubes and tools and levers, it's also where I store ma protectives, should my attractiveness get me into a protection situation...

Hey, thanks for a good idea :idea: ....on the tubes and levers in a cut bottle.....can use it on shorter rides where I don't really need extra drink. As far as the protection, I just wear mine all day :blush2:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
The addict has .5 slacker degree seat tube. slightly shorter head tube. How exactly is this the racing geometry?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re post #5, the new CR1 is a total redesign from the one that you (and I) had. I now have the R3, which I love. I'm almost 60 and find the Addict to be quite comfy.

Both bikes should be fine for centuries or aggressive riding, both climb like goats. It's really a matter of personal preference, and you need to ride both of them. Post in the Scott mfg. forum if you haven't already and you may get some more responses.

I also have a Parlee Z4, and I prefer to ride my Addict in all situations (the Parlee has aero wheels, so I use it more for flat rides).

Oh, just get the one with the paint scheme you like best.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ok, but don't claim you didn't know about the women thing when your wife finds out what you've been up to.

(I should say in the spirit of political correctness that the attractive thing applies equally to men)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts