Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting in some longer hours in the office, and expect to be doing this for a few more weeks. The biggest problem I have is getting the miles in and some real training time. Maybe 2-3 days out of the week I'm just either so busy, come home so late, or just so exhuasted to be putting in 2-3 hours. So here's my question, what can I do in 45-60mins on a trainer? There are some things I've been doing, if you have any suggestions on more I can do, please let me know. With a 10-15 min warm up and cool down in between, I've done some of these exercises:

1 - Interval training, 1 minute on a very tough gear keeping my cadence up to get my heart rate really jumping. 2 minutes easy pedaling. Rinse and repeat for 10 intervals.

2 - Slow heavy gear pedaling. Low cadence, but at a very difficult gear. Hoping to work more on the slow twitch muscles.

3 - Recovery rides at about 60-70% effort on days after interval training.

Any ideas on what I can do?

·
Registered
52 Posts
my buddy trains only 45-60 minutes 2-3 times per week and races occasionally at local cat3/4/5 training races. he does quite well there never finishing outside of top 10. i'll share with you his secret 45-60 minute workouts:

warmup: 0 minutes
interval 1: 45-60 minutes at 100% FTP
cooldown: 0 minutes
streching: 0 minutes
recovery rides: never

i like to laugh about this workout program but like i said he does do quite well and it sounds and awful lot like iliveonnitro's recommendation.

·
Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
1,060 Posts
If your buddy does "quite well" on that "plan", then all it really means is that he could be doing very, very well if he actually had a plan at all. He's getting top 10s with the 4/5 crowd in training? In reality, he could be winning them then, not just in training, but in actual races.

jtheskier said:
my buddy trains only 45-60 minutes 2-3 times per week and races occasionally at local cat3/4/5 training races. he does quite well there never finishing outside of top 10. i'll share with you his secret 45-60 minute workouts:

i like to laugh about this workout program but like i said he does do quite well and it sounds and awful lot like iliveonnitro's recommendation.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
tried that

jtheskier said:

I tried something similar, basically time trialing all the time. Strangely enough, it didn't even work for time trialing.

So, if his FTP is 300 watts, and that's all he does, when does he train to hit 450 watts on a jump or short climb? What about base/endurance training?

I think we'd all love it if that plan worked (well), but I don't think it does.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My friend does not do longer road races. He's only raced relatively short crits, and it doesn't seem like base/endurance training is necessary. His background as an athlete includes collegiate D1 football, so the anaerobic efforts seem to come pretty easily for him.

I didn't mean to preach this as a miracle plan. To me, it seems like he has made good use of his limited time and has developed his threshold power quite nicely for what he needs it for. His need includes only crit racing, not TT's RR's or SR's. He knows he may not do well in other types of races and does not do them. I think this is a good case study of how a person has made good use of such little time.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
asnpcwiz said:
Sounds good. I'll put an hour on the bike in tonight and go all out to get my LTHR.

BTW, what does "FTP" mean?
FTP means "Functional Threshold Power." It's a term coined by Andy Coggan (cyclingpeaks) to describe the power one can hold for about 60 minutes.

By "LTHR" I'm assuming you do not mean your true lactate threshold heart rate, as that is pretty low. I think you should do a test today to find your ideal training range.

Warm up, do a 20min effort at ~90-95%, take 5min off, and do the second 20min effort as hard as you can. Find your average HR for that second effort and report back.

·
Registered
896 Posts
all of my workout are 60-75 mins including warmup & cooldown. that gives me between 45 and 60mins "in zone". you can do just about anything in that amount of time except LSOD. I mostly race crits and circuit races of not more than 30 miles. sure it would be nice to build more endurance, but I don't have time. I get about 6 hrs/week and do just fine as a cat 4. intervals, sprints, attacks, basic spin, active rest, can be done in this amount of time.

·
Registered
739 Posts
seems to me, 45 minutes is plenty of time to do a lot of things:

-LT work (2X20min)
-VO2 max (5-7 X 3-4 min)
-Anaerobic Capacity (10 X 1-2min)
-Sprint work (6 100% 20 sec sprints, 5 minute rest after each)
-Tabatha workouts (2-3 sets X 10 X (20s on/20s off))

This type of training is good for crit racing (especially the last three listed), but that's about it.

This kind of plan wouldn't let me survive to the end of any road or expert-class MTB race.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Another good option for this is to just get outside and run you can get a good workout from a 20 min run or an amazing one from a 45 to 60 min run. I should say jog were you dont want to spring you just want to keep a pace you can do for the shole time, no run walk run walk bs. It will strengthen your legs and lungs and save on wear and tear of your drive train.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
dwadamcat said:
Another good option for this is to just get outside and run you can get a good workout from a 20 min run or an amazing one from a 45 to 60 min run. I should say jog were you dont want to spring you just want to keep a pace you can do for the shole time, no run walk run walk bs. It will strengthen your legs and lungs and save on wear and tear of your drive train.
Unless of course you're doing intervals, which I've been known to do when I can't ride. I usually don't walk, but slow down to an easy, easy jog

·
Registered
896 Posts
remember that jpgging and running are very different on your body. i am in very good cycling shape, but if I jogged for an hour, I'd be sore for a week. also, I don't want the pounding on my knees. obviously triathaletes do this all the time, but they build up to it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.