Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Fenway, North End, Beacon Hill

I'd go to Beacon Hill first. Right down the street is the Granary Burial Ground where some of the FF's are buried. Accross the street from that is the Boston Common, and Public Garden, nice to walk through. If you want to be a true Barney (tourist) go to Cheers, which is just the other side of the Commons.

The North End is fun to walk at night, all Italian, lots and lots of restaraunts and an all night bakery. If you're into baseball go to Fenway. Even if you don't go to the game the pre and post-game atmosphere is fun, and you're right next to BU so you're guaranteed some nubile oogling opportunities. (Okay, not strictly speaking "nubile" but you get my point)

Where are you staying?

BT

BTW, don't come up to NH unless you're planning on spending lots of money or paying tolls to help our economy.

·
off the back
15,305 Posts
clubbin'. grab a copy of the Boston Phoenix and see who's in town playing while you're there. there's bound to be a decent band playing somewhere in one of the hundreds of small clubs in town. too bad the Rat is now a parking garage.

and yeah, go to Fenway, just so you can say you did. most beautiful ballpark in the world.

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
I third Fenway. Cheers will be a disappointment. The food there sux big time.
There are a lot of Great restaurants along a street that dead-sneds into the Commons (I don't remember the name of the street (sorry), but it's very popular and has a significant number of stores, bars, etc. Ask someone). As far as bars go, tough to go wrong, but in the past a lot of the athletes hugn out at Daisy Buchanons. Might still.
Also, the art museum is really nice. It's south of the Fens right next to Northeastern Univ.
Enjoy! I LOVE Boston

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
rufus said:
clubbin'. grab a copy of the Boston Phoenix and see who's in town playing while you're there. there's bound to be a decent band playing somewhere in one of the hundreds of small clubs in town. too bad the Rat is now a parking garage.

and yeah, go to Fenway, just so you can say you did. most beautiful ballpark in the world.
You remember the Rat? Kudos. That was a hell of a place to see a band. Lots of big new wave bands debuted there. Blondie, Elvis Costello, the list is huge, and goes on and on. The Ramones were awesome in that dingy short roofed hole. Is the Paradise still hosting bands? Yikes, the B52s and Devo came alive in there.

Glad to hear that the Phoenix is still alive. It was the underground paper in the early 70's, went mainstream in the mid 70's. I used to do cover illos for the Phoenix years ago, back before 'BCN turned from bad boys into corporate shills, helped the guys at WLYN launch FNX - they still cool or are they corporate too?...

If in Boston, I'd be too focused on foods I miss to bother with ANY nightlife. Putanesca at Daily Catch. Lobster at the Lobster Claw on Route 1. Steamed clams in Essex. Italian Cold Cuts subs at Anthonys in Stoneham Square. Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere Beach after a night of drinking for fried clams and fries, with the clock on the wall that runs in reverse. Mikes in the North End for espresso, canollis and Italian pastries. East Coast grill for just about anything. Ess and ess Deli for a brunch of whitefish, lox, bagles. Olive's to hang out with Todd and Olivia for a fancy meal. I'd go to Legal only if I had to. You're killing me. California can't hold a candle to the comfort foods in Massachusetts.

For the tourist, the freedom trail is a cool walk, a lot of history. Check out the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides) in Charleston as well. Sadly the good "bad" stuff has been gentrified. Does Filene's Basement still have their sick open bins with throngs of old italian ladies trying on industrial bras in the aisles? The Combat Zone is now the theatre district. Scully Square is gone. So sad... Worst of all - I heard that Toddies in Wakefield is a miserable shell of it's once glorious self, and their thinly sliced steak sandwiches with red sauce and melted cheese are either dead or nearly so...

My ode to Anthonys

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
thinkcooper said:
Kelly's Roast Beef in Revere Beach after a night of drinking for fried clams and fries,
Yes! And the lobster roll!

Pizzeria Regina is an experience. There will be a heavy set Italian woman in the kitchen screaming and throwing sharp objects at her boys cuz their not waiting tables fast enough.

·
off the back
15,305 Posts
jptaylorsg said:
I third Fenway. Cheers will be a disappointment. The food there sux big time.
There are a lot of Great restaurants along a street that dead-sneds into the Commons (I don't remember the name of the street (sorry), but it's very popular and has a significant number of stores, bars, etc. Ask someone). As far as bars go, tough to go wrong, but in the past a lot of the athletes hugn out at Daisy Buchanons. Might still.
Also, the art museum is really nice. It's south of the Fens right next to Northeastern Univ.
Enjoy! I LOVE Boston
Newbury Street?

and screw the art museum. go to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum instead. or do both.

and go eat at Cafe Brazil in Allston. i've yet to go, but years ago I was introduced to the owner, Valter Vitorino, by a mutual acquantance when Valter's son was playing hockey for my alma mater. he's just a really nice, sweet guy, and from everything i've heard, the food is out of this world.

·
off the back
15,305 Posts
firstrax said:
Bunratty's? I still have the scars I got there. Think it was the Cryptic Slaughter concert.
never went there. too dumbass metal head for my tastes. only made it to the Rat a couple of times, but saw a great show there by the Fleshtones. and still miss the Channel.

FNX these days blows just as bad as BCN. i remember whenever i'd go to Boston, i'd be excited just to be able to listen to FNX. now, i can listen to it here, and big deal, it's horrible. the only decent part of it is Julie Kramer's Leftover Lunch at noon, and even that's iffy sometimes. she played Culture Club the other day. :(

not a Boston native, so don't really know what all the great, known only to the locals, eating spots are.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hit the burbs - Grab a burrito at Anna's Taqueria in Coolidge Corner, Brookline and check out Harvard Square in Cambridge.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Damn...I guess I have plenty of options!

I got into Boston at around 9:30....just got to my hotel. I'm staying at the Omni Parker House. There sure are a lot of runners here! (Boston marathon was today).

I'll let you know how the trip turns out!

·
Registered
581 Posts
i know what to do..........

eat some clam chowder................................................i hear they have good clam chowder...........................................

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Definitely go to Fenway. What a place to watch a ball game. The best baseball park in the world. If you're into a little history and you like academia, one thing that nobody has mentioned is visiting some of the universities around Boston. Harvard, MIT, UMass...Boston is a meca for academia, IMO, and has some of the most beautiful university grounds I've seen. Visit their libraries, main building for info, or just walk around. I love Boston. Don't forget FAO Schwartz toy store, if you're shopping a little one.
Cheers, Wayne

1 - 17 of 17 Posts