Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've talked the wife into $400 for a wheelset. I'll have to pick up a cessette as well.

I'm looking at Ultegra Open Pros and at ROL SL 28.

What would you buy at that pricepoint?

175 lb nonracer who logs maybe 250-300 miles a month.

thanks
Dave

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Hmmm

dpar said:
So, I've talked the wife into $400 for a wheelset. I'll have to pick up a cessette as well. I'm looking at Ultegra Open Pros and at ROL SL 28.
Since you can get DA hubs at below that price point (Colorado Cyclist, Excel, etc.), you should either go with the higher end hubs or spend less on the wheels. Colorado Cyclist has Ultegra/Open Pro wheels for $230.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
dpar said:
What would you buy at that pricepoint?
I know what I'd get, but it is very important to know what your priorities are. How would you order these:

Reliability/ longevity
Performance (weight, aero)
Bling

If that is the order you'd put them in, I'd go with something like this:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/comm...=762&CRPCGNBR=762&CI=1,224,333,762&TextMode=0

Ultegra/Open Pros or CXP33s, 32 front and 36 rear, 14/15 butted spokes drive rear, 15/16 everywhere else. You should have lots of cash left over, but there really isn't any reason to spend more.

If you value peformance over reliability and low cost, I'd check Mike at oddsandendos, and see what it would cost for a set of Niobium 30 rims, Speedcific hubs, AE15s with DB14s on the drive rear (24f 28r). Those will be both aero and light. Should be ~$400, and he has free shipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.