Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My powertap needs a new battery (I hope that is all it is) and not working. To get the hub open I need a special tool, which won't be here for a week or so. I'm obviously still going to ride.

But what do I do with the data? Do I just calculate TSS based on HR and add that into Golden Cheetah? I want to at least keep my Acute, Chronic, Training Stress chart somewhat accurate and up to date. But is this good to do or should I just wait till I have the power meter back before adding data?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
what I have often done is try to best estimate my TSS and KJ from previous similar workouts. I often have the same core aspects to my workouts and in GC you can look at marked intervals. Now you wont be able to objectively verify the accuracy of the power based intervals, but you can get close.

HR if you have the data from pre issue to now can be used in the 'same' way. I don't track my HR anymore, so that metric wouldn't work for me.

GC also has a guess for the manual ride entry. I find it over estimates my TSS for rides. I use my best interpretation for TSS (based upon the above) when I ride CX/gravel/MTN and don't have the power meter.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
My powertap needs a new battery (I hope that is all it is) and not working. To get the hub open I need a special tool, which won't be here for a week or so. I'm obviously still going to ride.

But what do I do with the data? Do I just calculate TSS based on HR and add that into Golden Cheetah? I want to at least keep my Acute, Chronic, Training Stress chart somewhat accurate and up to date. But is this good to do or should I just wait till I have the power meter back before adding data?
G3 or older?

IIRC the second generation PowerTaps are sized for a 32mm headset wrench. If you have one around you might check.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
G3 or older?

IIRC the second generation PowerTaps are sized for a 32mm headset wrench. If you have one around you might check.
G3. It's a weird triangle pattern. I tried to turn it with some wrenches but didn't want to gouge it out. The inset is only 1 mm or so and not much to grab on to.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If you have done similar rides I would just use previous results for an estimated manual entry in Golden Cheetah. You might be off by as much as 20% but in the scheme of things that won't matter much managing your training load / stress balance etc.

I'm guessing you are the original owner of the wheel or you would have the wrench, they come with the hub / wheel. Have you checked your LBS to see if they can do the battery change for you?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have done similar rides I would just use previous results for an estimated manual entry in Golden Cheetah. You might be off by as much as 20% but in the scheme of things that won't matter much managing your training load / stress balance etc.

I'm guessing you are the original owner of the wheel or you would have the wrench, they come with the hub / wheel. Have you checked your LBS to see if they can do the battery change for you?
Not one shop in my area has the wrench. I had the wheel custom made. Wish he would have sent me the hub wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts