Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up this bike at a garage sale for free. It's an old Raleigh Assault (6spd). It needs to be cleaned up, new tubes, and probably some other repairs I haven't discovered yet.

I'll probably use it for winter commuting and perhaps locking in high theft areas (I go to school two nights a week at CU-Boulder).

Paul

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

This bike finally had its maiden voyage. I regreased the hubs and bottom bracket (old cup/cone type of BB), adjusted the headset, put on studded tires, replace the rear shifter with a friction shifter (indexing wasn't working right), put on a rack and replaced the saddle and seat post (cheap veloswap stuff).

Today I rode to work in a snowstorm (see uh oh thread) and it worked great.

I couldn't have done it without the help of these forums (I was a wrenching newbie before getting into this).

Paul

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Way to go, Paul- just in time for another winter! I love those old rigid mtbs for a lot of stuff and even the ugly ones look cool. Great way to learn about repairs and adjustments, too.

FatTireFred said:
monster crosser... find some 25.4 drop bars
My daily ride is a 92 rigid mtb with dropbars and when I take it on the single track it makes me think "Minicross" due to the little wheels. You`re giving my bike a case of attitude, FT Fred.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.