Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my commute home, there is a section of my ride that has a bike lane. The entire road in the bike lane section consists of a shoulder for parked cars, the bike lane, and the travel lane so it's probably 2½ to 3 cars widths wide. The bike lane ends shortly before an intersection because the road narrows after the intersection. After the bike lane ends - leading up to the intersection (and a traffic light) - there is a left turn lane, a straight lane (where I go), and a right turn lane.

When I'm traveling on this section of road during afternoon rush hour I almost always get stuck at the light at the intersection and there are almost always half a dozen cars in each of the lanes at the light. My question is this... when I'm approaching this light, should I stop behind the last car waiting at the light and wait my turn or is it OK to ride between the right turn and straight lanes to the front of the line? My concern with stopping behind is that in really heavy traffic, sometimes cars are backed up to the bike lane and by stopping that far back, when I do get moving again and exit the bike lane, cars will be going from single file to whichever of the three lanes they need to be in and may not see me while doing so.

Thanks,
Peter

· Non non normal
10,183 Posts
If you have room I would ride between the right turn lane and the straight lane. When the light turns you stay to the right of the straight traffic and you are good to go.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
MB1 said:
Ride to the front then run the light. Get away from the crazy intersections as quickly as you can.
Interesting I would not have thought you would have said that. Traffic is a joke where I live, so I dont mind waiting for lights. Do most here run lights in the bigger cities?

· Registered
9,274 Posts
I almost always go to the front between the straight and right turn lanes.

On my commute there are a few intersections with a straight/right turn combined lane. That gets a little more sketchy. Going to the front and having the front car wanting to turn right creates confusion for the driver. Should they wait or go? Should I wait or go? What if I'm the first one to the light and already there when a car shows up and wants to turn right? I haven't come up with a standard answer for this one. I just go with the flow and whatever feels right that day.

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I'm the first one to a light and it's a combo right/straight lane, I'll just sit at the front and wait. If the car behind me wants to turn, too bad... they should treat me just like a car that's going straight. Occasionally you'll get someone that honks but it's been very rare for me (knock on wood).

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
MB1 said:
Ride to the front then run the light. Get away from the crazy intersections as quickly as you can.
Can you ride no hands while standing on the pedals? If so, you could hang a B.A. for all the motorists behind you as you run the light. If there is a cop nearby, you should flip him off.

Did I say that out loud?

- FBB

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
LOL, no I can't.

fbagatelleblack said:
Can you ride no hands while standing on the pedals? If so, you could hang a B.A. for all the motorists behind you as you run the light. If there is a cop nearby, you should flip him off.

Did I say that out loud?

- FBB
Oh, no question it took me some time moving from the West Coast to get comfortable running lights (it would get you killed in SoCal). Now it seems the most natural thing in the world and even the bike cops do it in DC. :)

It still amazes me to run a light in front of a police car and not get arrested. :eek:

Not that I am suggesting that anyone ever break a traffic law or anything of the sort....:rolleyes:

· Registered
444 Posts
i go to the front if the cars are stopped. if they are moving slowly i move slowly with them. stopped cars cant change lanes.

look inside the stopped cars as you ride by. you sometimes see people doing something interesting when they think no one can see them. nosepickers. masturbators, both male and female. i have seen a few people crying, like bawling. sad.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
MB1 said:
Oh, no question it took me some time moving from the West Coast to get comfortable running lights (it would get you killed in SoCal). Now it seems the most natural thing in the world and even the bike cops do it in DC.
Yup, but do you have to pack heat while cycling in DC? Ever have to come out of a stoplight blasting?

BTW: I run lights here in Sunny SoCal, but my fellow riders give me disapproving looks. It's been 20 years since I was a bike messenger in Boston, but old habits die hard.

Yours,

FBB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.