Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im new here (been lurking a bit, but this is the first post). I am going to buy my first bike, and plan on doing at least 40 miles a week (Im sure that will be more as the weather gets nicer). I just got on to my companies riding team, which plans on doing a 150 mile (2 days) event in July.

I decided i was going to get a nice used bike. I have found some full ultegra setups around 700 or so, and that is something I can afford right now. My question is, what should I really check out on a used bike? What components would you be focused on if you went to check out a used bike? Are there certain areas of the frame I should check out that may show signs of abuse? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
108 Posts
First and foremost, you need to check fit. Make sure it fits you. The best equipped bike won't make a difference if it truly does not fit.

Second, I would check components. Many bikes have ultegra rear derailleur and 105 or lower level everything else, and are advertised as "ultegra where it counts". I think this is bull. Look for quality up to date and smoothly working shifters-brake levers of at least 105 or higher quality. Older systems will be 9 speed, more updated will be 10 speed. I personally would want 10 speed, at least 105 components.

At your price range, I would accept a few down grades. Things you should look for that are usual suspects for lower end parts are Wheelset (most likely to be low end, as wheels are expensive) and brakes. Not that a lower end brakeset or wheelset would stop me from buying an otherwise good bike for $700, but its just something you should look for.

Of course going rates for bikes will differ depending on where you are, how saturated the used bike market is, and also individual sellers. See if sellers will throw in pedals and cleats if they have them laying around in the deal too. Good luck.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Give the bike a good lookover in full light. Frame cracks usually show up where two tubes meet. Don't be afraid to pick the bike up and turn it over during your inspection. Look at the wheelset for cracks and spin the wheels and see if they look true. Pull out the seatpost and look for damage especially if it is carbon. If the bike has some miles on it expect to replace the chain and possibly the rear cassette.

The best thing to do, if possible, is take it out for a test ride. A 10 mile ride will tell you a great deal about how the bike fits and will allow you to test the components and listen for any unexplained noises.

Make sure you leave enough in your budget to buy the essentials. You may need pedals and will need shoes if you are going to go clipless. Also a helmet, spare tubes and inflation system for flats, seat bag, shorts, gloves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thatnks for the advice guys. I factored in the extras (helmet, tune up, ect) so I should be good. I also looked into the specs, and it has ultegra f/r derailleurs and shifters (30 speed), with 105 cassette/chain. I can live with the other components for the time being, but I do see some brakes, pedals, and possibly crankset upgrading in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts