Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is March 5th. 2 weeks from tomorrow I'm headed to Riccione, Italy for 11 days of glorious riding along the Adriatic, Appenines Mountains and throughout eastern Emilia-Romagna. We'll even be in town for the 2.3 ranked Coppi-Bartali Race (the Navigators will be there).

So, I've got my list of things to take, but those of you here who are more seasoned cycling vacationers, what can you think of that I might not have thought of? Our hotel caters to cyclists so I have access to a full bike workshop and special laundry service for cycling clothing. For clothing, I'm pretty well set.

Oddities that I already have thought of include an extra memory stick for the digital camera and a small, extrememely light-weight tripod that fits in a jersey pocket as wll as a full-sized, pack-sized tripod that straps to the frame for those days where there is no climbing (like the day we have 170k scheduled along the Adriatic coast). My doctor even gave me a perscription of antibiotics (zolof) incase of some sort of infection. It also helps that we have a physician going on our trip that speaks fluent Italian. Definite bonus!

This is a trip of a lifetime so I don't want to get over there and wish I had something that I left behind. So, I call upon the vastly experienced members of RBR for some help!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The things that the LBS would need to order

Sounds like a great trip.

I would try to think of the things that could go wrong on your machine that you would need to order even locally, you should have spares of those with you. You're going to be able to get tires, tubes, tape, cable and stuff, but there's likely things that are relatively unique in your set up that may not be available.

Things that come to mind for me (your list may vary)
1) Cleat screws (and maybe even cleats)
2) My reversed bladed Shimano spokes on my 535s
3) The spoke wrenchs that go with em. (in my seat bag in any event)

You get the idea

Scot

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
It sounds like you are set..

I've taken "Cycling Vacations" but just in my home state of Ca. It sounds like you have a good back up system. My main concern was having a good inflation system and a stock of spair tubes, so I packed c02 and a mini frame pump. I did have a couple of flats. I might have gone overboard on clothing, I washed my cycling cloths after each ride so I could have got buy with just a couple of jerseys and shorts. Maybe a spare pair of riding glasses or lenses might be a good idea since you will be far from home. But you will still be on this planet so if you forget something, pick it up overthere. I did all my rides solo with no one to call if something went wrong, so you will be in a different situation. My wife is Italian and we would love to visit Italy someday.

I just took a look around and wrote a list of everything I needed and used when I rode my bike and went from there.

Just don't forget your shoes.

Have fun..

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Extra cleats

Extra cleats are a good idea! Not worried about anything with the bike as we are not taking ours but using the hire bikes, which are Fondriests... So things for the bike I'm not really concerned about.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bring your pedals & shoes

Whenever I travel & plan to rent/borrow a bike for some real riding, I bring my pedals & shoes w/me. I also (like Dinosaur wrote) bring the same stuff I'd take on a ride: i.e. pump, tubes, patch kit & multi-tool.

It sounds like a great trip, I'm looking forward to some nice pix.

N joy

- Chris

·
Registered
146 Posts
Helmet

This sounds like a fantastic trip. After dealing with the long winter in Connecticut I'm itchin' for a trip like this!

I've done some bike trips in Australia and New Zealand. The other posts have given you some good ideas, but I haven't seen anyone mention to bring your own helmet. It's kind of a bulky, and somewhat fragile item to carry with you on a long distance trip, but well worth it. I've been offered some pretty skanky, stinky helmets when renting bikes in other countries (lots of sweat left behind by many other wearers of that helmet....).

Have a great time and be sure to post some pics to make us all jealous!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.