Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You might want to wear a thin polypro under your jersey w/ arm warmers. Put some vasoline on your legs , and you're ready to go. Bring a trainer to warm up on and go hard in the turns.
Do not overdress.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of wear a craft under shirt with my jersey and arm warms. Nothing on legs but vaseoline? Is that going to keep them warm enough? I don't shave, will the vaseoline still work?

· Registered
3,230 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't think that vaseline actually keeps your legs warm. what it will do is help the water run off, I suppose. I've never done it myself.
you'll see guys with rain capes -- if you go this route, make sure that it's one of the clear ones, so your jersey and number can be seen. I've never understood this myself -- rain capes work only but so well, and they don't breathe, so now you're stuck inside plastic wrap, sweating like crazy, and once you're wet, you're pretty much wet.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Clark said:
I am wondering what peole wear in a race when its raing out? I have race tomorrow and its suppose to rain and I am sure what to wear.. The high temp is 60 and rain.
Some nice shoe covers to keep your feet dry..

I'd probably put a rubber band around the top to really keep the water out.

Maybe switch to a WET lube on your chain.

60F is a tough one - you might get chilled if you dont stay warm.. yet overheat if you have too much gear on.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Clark said:
I am wondering what peole wear in a race when its raing out? I have race tomorrow and its suppose to rain and I am sure what to wear.. The high temp is 60 and rain.
Nothing will keep you dry. Dress to stay warm. In the 50s I would wear a cycling cap to keep some off the water off my glasses, one thin under shirt, one thick under shirt, jersey, wind vest (maybe under the jersey), arm warmers, bibs, knee warmers and booties. - TF

· Registered
635 Posts
ive now done 3 races in the rain

wet lube for sure
clear glasses or yellow really helps esp in the pack where water seems to come down from all directions
long pants and shirt that will keep u warm when wet if its gonna be cold
a raincoat, wear it to the line and have someone take it or toss it.

· Registered
137 Posts
Clark said:
Personally, I wouldn't wear much. You're going to be bad off if you're wearing all kinds of clothing and it gets wet -- you'll freeze your butt off anyway. You're better off in shorts and a jersey with some arm warmers (easy enough to take off if you get soaked), but I'd nix the knee or leg warmers. Shave those puppies and slap some hot cream and then vasoline on them. The vasoline won't really insulate, but if you can keep the water off your legs, you'll stay warmer. In fact, I'd probably forgo the armwarmers and slap hot cream and vasoline on my arms, too.

60* and rain just plain sucks. You'll be miserable no matter what you wear. Speaking from experience, I'd wear less. One less wet layer you have to peel off afterwards.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Stay warm not dry

sianne said:
...Speaking from experience, I'd wear less. One less wet layer you have to peel off afterwards.
Wear the same thing you wear when you train in the rain. You do train in bad conditions sometimes dont you?

Goal should be to stay warm not dry. The race should take care of the warmth. A cycling hat will help keep the crap off your glasses. Clear or yellow glasses help. A big water bottle, if your glasses get dirty a splash of water can clean them quickly. Arm warmers allow for a quick adjustment. Grab a Fed X envelope and cut a piece to stuff in your jersey and cover your chest, easier to remove in the middle of a pack than a vest or rain cape. Wool socks. Some bag balm because your butt will get wet and raw. Towels to dry off afterward and put on your car seats and a plastic trash bag for your wet clothes. Embrocation would be nice but a race is not the place to start experimenting.

If it turns out colder you can use a clear vinyl rain cape. The way to keep from overheating is to cut the sleeves off so you have a short sleeve rain cape that allows enough air in to cool your pits. The torso part of the cape keeps your core warm and the tail keeps your but dry. The arm warmers keep your arms warm. Remember if the weatherman says 60 it could easily turn out to be 50.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
when i raced in scotland and during my brief bit of racing in belgium i did this:

covered my legs with imbrocation/heat balm to warm them up

then applied baby oil on top to keep the imbrocation on and the rain off :)

i suppose it's an ideas to get that nasty fuzz off of your legs tonight!

for 60° i suggest this choice of clothing;

bibs/baselayer/ss jeresy or ls jeresy/arm warmers if you wear the ss jeresy/vest/booties/cycling cap under helmet/fingerless gloves/clear lense oakleys

take some pressure out of the tires and enjoy!

· Registered
8,116 Posts
Clark said:

A year ago I saw snowflakes in MN during the race.

I wouldn't overdress. Arm warmers and a short sleeve base layer and a SS jersey and shorts. It is a race... you will stay warm enough.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Raced a training crit in the rain in tights one day in college. Ugh. Got to watch my wet, cold, legs get flapped by my wet, cold tights. Never again! The MOST I'll wear in the rain are knee warmers.

Nothing's gonna keep you dry, so accept the fact that you'll be wet and cold. Pick things that insulate when they're wet.

Good luck!

M

· Registered
804 Posts
No matter what you do today you will be really cold and really wet. Right now the temp is 46 with rain and 11 mph winds and the rain is not stopping.

On the up side, you only need to do 2 laps... I'm looking forward to 3.

Last weekend I was down in NE for a stage race and the temps were in the mid 70s with nothing but blue sky and light wind. Today is more like the spring racing I'm used to in MN.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
MShaw said:
Raced a training crit in the rain in tights one day in college. Ugh. Got to watch my wet, cold, legs get flapped by my wet, cold tights. Never again! The MOST I'll wear in the rain are knee warmers.

Nothing's gonna keep you dry, so accept the fact that you'll be wet and cold. Pick things that insulate when they're wet.

Good luck!

M

I agree. Tights bind the knees too much anyway. Crits are usually so short and intense there is no worry about getting cold. What is more difficult is getting a good warmup... or it it is a road race, I suck at staying hydrated if it is a cold race.

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Clark said:

I would say don't get all kitted up like the pros you see on the cycling videos. They're out there for 6 hours, and when they get down to proper racing, they take all that stuff off anyway. 60 degrees and rain ? regular kit with craft/defeet undershirt. maybe armwarmers. If you don't warm up, your not racing.;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.