Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning thirteen degrees, wind about 15mph. Very chilly. Here's what I wore to stay warm (sort of, anyway.)

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
See what you warm weather guys are missing out on?!

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
Yikes! That's a whole suitcase of clothes.. :eek:
Where is that jersey from (LA Sheriff)? My neighbor wears that same jersey all the time.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
And I thought my arm warmers were too much to carry around with me at school! ;)

joe

G

·
Geez that seems like a lot.

It was -14 C this morning when I went out.

I wear a long sleeve turtleneck ( from the work wear store $15), a jersy over that and a winter riding jacket over that.

Long finger cycling gloves, a pair of winter socks from the XC ski store, winter tights and neoprene overshoes over the cycling shoes.

I wear a full face balaclava under the helmet and that's it. I'm sweating when I get home.

Nowhere near as much clothing as you have laid out there. If it gets colder than this I put hot-shotz in my shoes before I put the overboots on.

G

·

I wear a long sleeve turtleneck ( from the work wear store $15), a jersey over that and a winter riding jacket over that.

Long finger cycling gloves, a pair of winter socks from the XC ski store, winter tights and neoprene overshoes over the cycling shoes.

I wear a full face balaclava under the helmet and that's it. I'm sweating when I get home.

Nowhere near as much clothing as you have laid out there. If it gets colder than this I put hot-shotz in my shoes before I put the overboots on.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-14 C is close to 13 F(but a bit colder). I wear enough (for me, anyway) to be warm enough to sweat slightly. Too much sweat and I get chilled quickly.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stihl said:
Where is that jersey from (LA Sheriff)?
Chevrolet/LA Sheriff was a North American racing team from the early-mid 1990's I think. I use the jersey for a base layer mostly now. It fits me snugly, and wicks moisture away

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
4bykn said:
Chevrolet/LA Sheriff was a North American racing team from the early-mid 1990's...

Oh I see..I apologize for this newbie's ignorance.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,714 Posts
4bykn said:
This morning thirteen degrees, wind about 15mph. Very chilly. Here's what I wore to stay warm (sort of, anyway.)
Well...if it makes you feel better...the landlords have my thermostat locked, and I'm about to hop on my trainer wearing a lightweight pair of tights:rolleyes:

Outside, -10C w/40 kph winds

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stihl said:
Oh I see..I apologize for this newbie's ignorance.
No need to apologize....we all can learn by asking questions.

·
Registered
616 Posts
When it hits 13 degrees, I'm wearing a down comforter...

Call me a p*ssy if you like...I'll answer from beneath the covers... :D

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
toomanybikes said:

I wear a long sleeve turtleneck ( from the work wear store $15), a jersey over that and a winter riding jacket over that.

That's just what I was going to say. I wear a wicking tshirt, a Polartech jersey & an unlined shell on top. On the botton I wear a pair of Performance's warmest, windproof tights, thick wool knee socks & booties. I will admit to wearing Goretex mittens if the temp goes under 20*F. Oh yeah, the balaclava is indespensible.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
Damn, dude, I don't even own that much stuff, let alone where it all at once. However, I did see snow on a ride out my front door for the first time ever today. I'm sure you wouldn't even have considered it snow, but it counted in my book. By the time I started, it was comfortably into the low 30s and was probably mid-40s by the time I got home. Again, I know this is nothing to you, but it's something for a lifelong California kid.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Coldest Ride Yesterday

16 degrees F here in Northern Ky [when I started, warmed to 20] and wore about the same amount of clothing. Felt very comfortable. For all the $$ spent it was nice to know it works! Makes it easier to get back on the trainer after a ride or two in the cold.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
I've been out the last two days with temps about the same, but day before yesterday was windier and I had some problems keeping my fingertips from freezing when heading directly into the wind even with lobster gloves lined with jerseys. I ripped open a pack of hand warmers and stuffed them into the gloves. Yesterday I added latex gloves and it wasn't as windy so no problems. My hands were sweating when I took off the latex. Warmer today, what to wear?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Put on your pijamas and go back to bed. I won't go out if it's lower than 60 or a chance of rain. i guess were spoiled here in San Diego.

·
Registered
896 Posts
do you wear all that stuff at the same time?

I ride in 8 degrees with: short sleeve licra, long sleeve bike sweatshirt, insulated vest, tights w/shorts, gloves

zippi said:
Put on your pijamas and go back to bed. I won't go out if it's lower than 60 or a chance of rain. i guess were spoiled here in San Diego.

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bauerb said:
I ride in 8 degrees with: short sleeve licra, long sleeve bike sweatshirt, insulated vest, tights w/shorts, gloves
Absolutely, I'm getting cold just thinking of riding in 8 degrees with what you have listed. This is pretty much all my cold weather gear, I layer this all on, good to about -5 F.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
4bykn said:
Absolutely, I'm getting cold just thinking of riding in 8 degrees with what you have listed. This is pretty much all my cold weather gear, I layer this all on, good to about -5 F.
I agree, except that I wear gloves. What about booties? If it's under 25, I wear them too. Probably getting soft in my old age. (walks away muttering to himself)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts