Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My usual morning rides this time of year the temp is around 50 -55 degrees outside, to warm for the warm stuff i have but not sure if I should get arm and knee warmers or a long sleeve jersey and knee warmers. The budget is tight so i don't always have alot of cash for my toys any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Depends on you -- personally, my legs don't get cold unless it's really freezing out so I don't usually need knee warmers. If it's that cold, I just wear the full outerwear.

As far as the arms go, I prefer the arm warmers over the long sleeve jerseys. But I go on longer rides where the temps change over the course of the ride, so I like to take the arm warmers off mid-ride.

·
Registered
635 Posts
have any under armor type stuff? long sleeve or short, throw it on under the jersey. roll up sleeves if you get hot, i can wear a short sleeve under the jersey and be fine in about 75 degrees before i get too hot, for a long sleeve (depending on thickness) its about the same.

if you dont already have it, arm warmers are the way to go. they keep ya warm, and then if you get to hot peel them off and you are good to go. For any ride in the summer before 10am i prefer arm warmers.

i dont really like knee warmers just cause you cant take them off while you ride (at least i can't). plus if i am still cold w/ shorts, long top and jersey (or jersey, under type shirt and arm warmers) then its prbly cold enough for me to throw on tights, which you can always roll up to just below your knees if you overheat.....not the "look", but it works.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
There are those that say if it's <65 degrees you should wear knee warmers to "protect the joint."

It's pretty oldschool, I dunno if there's any science to it.

As for arms, I almost always start the ride with arm warmers of some kind, either thin castelli's or thicker assos ones, though they come off pretty quick as the sun does its thing this time of year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.