Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Racers,

I know this may not be the best place for this post but I wanted racers input!! I did an uphill TT saturday and was talked into trying tubulars. I am planning on doing several races this year mostly hilly races no crits and a few TT's. I like hills, I am 140lbs, 34 and have been riding seriously now for 3 years. I have an 05 R1000 cannondale, 05 Six13, & a new Orca. I use all 3 for different rides.

I have looked @ Zipps 303's & 404's, Carbones, Easton Tempests, Cane creeks 38's, and FSA 488's. All fairly close weight wise with the Zipp 303's lightest @1124g, Tempests 2nd @ 1265g. I know all the buzz right now is on the zipps but I realy want racers input. Also this will be my first experience with tubulars.

One other quick ? Which tires are the safest and most durable, and is the rim tape glue safe? Like I stated this is my first exp with tubulars!

THANKS !!! James

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'd say if you like hills...

and want to go crazy throwing cash they Zipp 202s, but realistically. I'd do this: Mavic Reflex rims, DA hubs and Revolution spokes 28 hole. Continental Sprinter tubulars. You totally can't go wrong with that set up. Totally kick arse set up, especially if you like climbing. Also a arse load cheaper than anything else around!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If you are not going to race crits, I see little benifit of tubie race wheels. Unless you are a Cat 3 or higher, I'd advise sticking with clinchers. The only thing that the tubies will save you in a road race, is a few pinch flats from riding into pot holes.
Crits are a whole 'nother story.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Buying Speed

Mosovich said:
and want to go crazy throwing cash they Zipp 202s, but realistically. I'd do this: Mavic Reflex rims, DA hubs and Revolution spokes 28 hole...
I race a boring set of Mavic Reflex rims with 32s Campy hubs. My son has a pair of Zipp 404's. The kid is a better overall rider than I am but over the last couple of weeks we have both finished in same field. Sure he finishes at the front of the field and I am mixed in the middle of the pack but I know if we swapped wheels the result would still be the same. He gets the edge on me in races with his ability to work his way up in the pack and fill holes that I hesitate filling. If you are not racing in the Cat 1-2-3 fields save your money and skip the Zipps.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
How's that?

I've only ridden clinchers, and it'll probably stay that way for a while, but I'm curious how help you out in crits in ways they don't in RR's. Is it a feel thing, or the "you don't crash when you flat" part?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Speaking of crash when flat..

on a group ride Saturday a guy was sprinting to the cty. line and rear wheel suddenly deflated. Metal rim on pavement = big crash with two guys going to hosp. by ambulance. Made me think, wow , tubular definately would've been a plus in that situation! I personally would be scared of tubular in crit, just the gluing thing would make me nervous. Although, I've used them in cross at low preassure and have never rolled one and hammered like heck on them in all corners. :eek:

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
hoovypedals said:
Racers,

I know this may not be the best place for this post but I wanted racers input!! I did an uphill TT saturday and was talked into trying tubulars. I am planning on doing several races this year mostly hilly races no crits and a few TT's. I like hills, I am 140lbs, 34 and have been riding seriously now for 3 years. I have an 05 R1000 cannondale, 05 Six13, & a new Orca. I use all 3 for different rides.

I have looked @ Zipps 303's & 404's, Carbones, Easton Tempests, Cane creeks 38's, and FSA 488's. All fairly close weight wise with the Zipp 303's lightest @1124g, Tempests 2nd @ 1265g. I know all the buzz right now is on the zipps but I realy want racers input. Also this will be my first experience with tubulars.

One other quick ? Which tires are the safest and most durable, and is the rim tape glue safe? Like I stated this is my first exp with tubulars!

THANKS !!! James
If you search the site, you'll get ALL the reading on this you'll ever want!

Having said that: buy used. Find your local tri club and pick up their 'slow' last year's Zipps: 404s for crits, 303s for uphills for pennies on the dollar. I saw a pair of 404s for $500 on CL the other day. I also sold my last pair for about the same. Coincidentally, was what I paid for em a few years prior.

HTH,

M

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
In crits, in order to take advantage of the free lap rule, you have to make it back to the start/finish line in a reasonable amount of time. With clinchers, it may take 5 of more minutes to walk back there. With tubies, you can ride 18-20 mph.
With all the accelerations in a crit, the lighter total weight, will keep you just a little fresher for the sprint. In a road race, you don't get all the "jumps" that you get in a crit (except if you're Cat 3 or above.)

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Fast Flats

MR_GRUMPY said:
In crits... With tubies, you can ride 18-20 mph...
Have not had to ride a flat tubie back to the pits yet. Any cautions I would need to be aware of? I assume you go around any corners somewhat gently. Any risk of damage to the rims when riding a flat tubie?

·
Registered
342 Posts
In a crit, I've never had a problem making it back to the pits for a free lap because of a clincher. The real advantage of a tubular over a clincher in a crit is that most riders feel tubulars corner better. Yes, there are some great clinchers out there and I almost exclusively race clinchers these days, but I, and the majority of racers who have tried both, feel that the best tubulars still corner a bit better than the best clinchers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cane Creek Cronos???

how good or trustworthy are the Cronos? Just found a set of the fairly reasonable. Hadn't seen much on these wheels. The ad states that the rims are made by Zipp but the hubs are cane creek. You guys are a TON of help. THANKS ! HOOV

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
tobu said:
It's not a religious argument. If you poll experienced racers who have used both clincher and tubular, the majority believe that tubulars corner better. They may be wrong, but that's what more of the experienced riders believe.
You ain't been reading many of these threads have you?

M

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the Reynolds Ulta Lights and love them. As stated earlier they probably help most in Crits because they accelerate so easily. I love them in road races too. They just feel so effortless! In some of the road races that I have done there are constant acclerations which makes these wheels so nice to have. And since they are so light they are great for hill climbs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.