Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be put on 404's for road race crit and TT front. Any reccomendations? Anyone run vittoria evo cx or tufos? how do the tufos ride? need something fast but with decent cornering. seems the trend in the pro peleton is to ride 22mm tires even in tt's. usps did so, with i believe sprinters? correct me if i'm wrong. what is the best tire out there for less than 90$.

thanks

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Most of the peloton was riding Veloflex tires a few years ago. Even if it had a different brand on it, 90% were made by Veloflex.
I doubt anybody was riding anything as heavy as a Conti Sprinter. If they had a Conti contract, then it would likely be a version of the Competition line, but one that was hand-made, not off-the-shelf.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
trijunior said:
To be put on 404's for road race crit and TT front. Any reccomendations? Anyone run vittoria evo cx or tufos? how do the tufos ride? need something fast but with decent cornering. seems the trend in the pro peleton is to ride 22mm tires even in tt's. usps did so, with i believe sprinters? correct me if i'm wrong. what is the best tire out there for less than 90$.

thanks
I'm riding Tufos at the moment. I have two sets of wheels with the S3Pros (190g) and a pair of training wheels with some S22s (250g).

In the past, I've ridden Vittorias and Contis. Contis seem to stick better in the wet (as long as you get their natural rubber tires) and have fewer flats than Vittorias. I liked the ride of the Comps better than the Sprinters (basically the construction differs like that between Grand Prix and Ultra clinchers).

I haven't ridden Vittorias since they moved to Asian production.

The Tufos are a little less supple in the sidewall than the Comps, but then they're a third of the price too... I get S3Pros 3 for $100-ish from a friend that imports them.

If cost is no barrier, then run Comps. If it is, Tufos are hard to beat.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crit vs TT

I plan to use the same set of wheels for road and TT races. Would something like the veloflex crit or tufo hicc lite perform as well in a time trial? or are different tires needed? width should be the main issue, i think, and usps and a number of other teams chose 22mm for TTT 03. what do you think?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
MShaw said:
If cost is no barrier, then run Comps. If it is, Tufos are hard to beat.

Mike
If cost is no barrier Dugast is the best.

Tufo's are cheap and durable but that is about all that I can say in their favor. Even the most expensive ones don't ride anything like a veloflex or conti comp, really not much better than a good clincher.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
What NOT to buy:

Any of the tires listed below should be considered nothing more than loops of garden hose:

Vittoria Rally, Formula1, or anything other than Corsa: Junk, [email protected], and they don't even hold up well. Vittoria Rallys are absolutely the worst tubular available.

Conti Giro: decent grip, but not even close to being round.

Hutchison Tempo: Has absolutely no redeeming features.

Essentially any tire made in Taiwan (with the possible exception of Vittoria Corsa, one of the new "Clement" tires, that's about it).

Tubasti Cement: This stuff is maybe slightly better than rubber cement. It doesn't hold worth a [email protected]!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
terzo rene said:
If cost is no barrier Dugast is the best.

Tufo's are cheap and durable but that is about all that I can say in their favor. Even the most expensive ones don't ride anything like a veloflex or conti comp, really not much better than a good clincher.
I've ridden Tufos as well before. I felt that the rolling resistance was high. higher, in fact, than the Michelin Axial Carbons I trained on, and higher than the Pro Races I switched to after the fact.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I have been riding the Conti Sprinters for several years and find them to be one of the most cost effective tubular tires. They are better than most and I have been buying them at about 3 for $100 from various internet sources.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone switch tires for TT? Does it pay? As far as the conti competition and the veloflex, does anyone have anything to say about the differences? or are they pretty comparable? Whats one of the better tubulars for rain?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:
Any of the tires listed below should be considered nothing more than loops of garden hose:

Vittoria Rally, Formula1, or anything other than Corsa: Junk, [email protected], and they don't even hold up well. Vittoria Rallys are absolutely the worst tubular available.

Conti Giro: decent grip, but not even close to being round.

Hutchison Tempo: Has absolutely no redeeming features.

Essentially any tire made in Taiwan (with the possible exception of Vittoria Corsa, one of the new "Clement" tires, that's about it).

Tubasti Cement: This stuff is maybe slightly better than rubber cement. It doesn't hold worth a [email protected]!
My Rallys didn't mount up perfectly round, but after 100 miles, they're OK. The wobble in the front was my fault. These are my first tubbies in 15 years. They're the best cheap sewups I've used, way better than the Wolber Invulnerables and Neo-Pros I used in the late 80's. FWIW, I think the Invulnerable was the worst sewup ever. For 5 bucks on closeout, I'll ride them until I can afford better. They still kill any clincher I've used in the ride department.

My sewup-riding shop buddy likes the Challenge Criteriums, made in Thailand from old Clement molds. From a quick ride, I think I'll try them when my Rallys and Giros run out. The Rivendell will probably get 27mm Dugast Silks on the nice wheels, and Challenge Paris-Roubaix on the normal wheels.

--Shannon, a tubular bottom-feeder from
San Diego, CA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.