Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on rebuilding my older Giant Pergiee. Last I rode it there was a lot of gringing coming form the bottom bracket. I removed the pedals and crank and there was open ball bearings not the one piece that I am used to how do I go about replacing this setup?

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Overcranked23 said:
I am working on rebuilding my older Giant Pergiee. Last I rode it there was a lot of gringing coming form the bottom bracket. I removed the pedals and crank and there was open ball bearings not the one piece that I am used to how do I go about replacing this setup?
Depending on the state of your races (the parts that the ball bearings make contact with when it's all put together), you may be in luck. Getting new balls and rebuilding that BB would be what I'd do, and it's dead cheap. These BBs need a little more regular maintenance than a cartridge, and are a little harder to adjust, but they work great and can last a very long time (as you may guess, I'm not on of those "only the newest style of BB is stiff enough" guys--you may be).

If you don't want to go that route, or your races are too pitted to salvage, you should be able to get a new cartridge BB. It's getting a little harder to get budget-priced BBs in the square drive style (the cranks have a square hole that goes on the square-ended axle), which I'm sure you have, but some shops still have some older Shimano stuff that could work. Worst case, Phil Wood makes a high-quality BB for just about every old-school style, but they're pretty spendy.

I'd suggest you talk to a local shop if you have one, or maybe a reputable online place that carries a lot of old school parts (Harris Cyclery comes to mind). What they'll want to know is what kind of threading you need, how long your existing spindle is, and what kind of drive you need (campy, JIS--both square taper, but not the same--or what).

For the spindle, just measure it, duh. For threading, English has reverse threads (counterclockwise tightens) on the drive side, Italian is threaded the same on both sides. Also, Italian BBs have a shell 70mm wide--the shell is the part of the frame the BB goes in. English can be a couple of mm on either side of that--I forget the exact measurement. You're more likely to have an English BB unless your current setup is Campy. Finally, for knowing what kind of drive you need, your best bet is just to know the brand/model of crank you are using, and let the shop tell you what you need.

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Overcranked23 said:
TMI ok so a cartridge bearings are the sealed units? Like what comes on most new bikes that has the spindle attached

I think that that the bearings ride on the spindle its self
Hey man, there's no such thing as TMI for a newbie, and that IS the forum you're posting in. You're lucky I didn't bother to explain how to re-pack your old school BB or give you a lesson about polishing lightly-scarred races by packing the old balls with toothpaste and riding around the block a time or two.

In a loose-bearing BB the balls do ride against the spindle, but they also ride against the cups on either side that screw into the frame. In my experience, the cup races get shagged before the spindle races. If all the bearing contact surfaces look smooth, I would definitely rebuild it rather than go with a cartridge. But that's your call.

And yes, cartridge BBs are the sealed dealies.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay take it easy I didn't mean for you to be insulted I am thankful for your wealth of knowledge but to much at once is just overload you got to take it easy with the new guy ( we bruise easy).
How do I figure out what size these bearings are so I can repalce them if i wanted to take the internet purchasing approach.

Thanks

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Measuring

Overcranked23 said:
How do I figure out what size these bearings are so I can repalce them if i wanted to take the internet purchasing approach.
Standard BB bearings on older, loose bearing units was 1/4 inch. If you take a bearing set to your local bike shop or hardware store, you can see what size you need by visually comparing - it's easy to see the size differences.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you guys go about packing your bearings do you do the old school hand packing or do you use a packer tool? what type of grease do you suggest. I have teflon grease that I got from my LBS I think is made for this application but what do you use?

· Registered
830 Posts
Overcranked23 said:
How do you guys go about packing your bearings do you do the old school hand packing or do you use a packer tool? what type of grease do you suggest. I have teflon grease that I got from my LBS I think is made for this application but what do you use?
teflon grease, like superlube? I've used that before but have found that best bang for the buck is marine bearing grease. you can buy a big tub at an auto parts or wally world store, that will "last long time".... like many years of various applications.
just about any grease will work (not the white lithium stuff though).

I use the big gob on finger method to apply.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.