Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
So, I bought this bike (bridgestone 600) long time ago and still didn't get around to riding due to the fact that my brakes don't work. By "don't work" I mean they don't grip on my rear rim well, as a result I just can't stop fast enough-it just slows me down. I had taken it to a bike shop and had new pads installed, but I still had the same problem. From little research that I did it seems that the problem is my rim, it is a Mavic MA40 and from what I read they have this finish called "couche dure" and look dark gray/black. I assume the brake pads that I had previously on, and the new ones installed, are for aluminum rims. So, what type of brake pads do I need for my bike?

I went to another bike shop and explained my problem, and was told that the pads that I need will cost between $60-$80, and that I would be better off buying a new rim. Now, if I change the rim I will have to change the cassette which probably run me more money than I wish to spend. $60-$80 is still a lot, so I just want to know what to look for and order them online. I will appreciate any help!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank for the reply guys. But, if the rim is normal/uses normal pads then how come the wheel still doesn't stop even after installing new pads? I did a little "test" and when I press the front breaks and try to roll back the bike, the front wheel doesn't roll. When I do the same for the rear it does roll=no grip.
I'll order the kool stops (thanks for the link) and hopefully it will fix the problem since those are more heavy duty

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
thank for the reply guys. But, if the rim is normal/uses normal pads then how come the wheel still doesn't stop even after installing new pads? I did a little "test" and when I press the front breaks and try to roll back the bike, the front wheel doesn't roll. When I do the same for the rear it does roll=no grip.
I'll order the kool stops (thanks for the link) and hopefully it will fix the problem since those are more heavy duty
Without knowing the condition of your braking surfaces and the pads installed, it's hard to answer your question, but there's nothing inherently unique about those rims.

The real braking test is when you're on the bike and apply the brakes. They either work, or they don't. If you're saying the front works and the rear doesn't, that tells me the pads (assuming they're the same, front/ rear) aren't the problem and there's something else going on at the rear.

If I'm on track thus far, the easiest thing to do is get some alcohol and a no-scratch pad and clean the braking surfaces. It may take a couple of tries, but that should help. You may also need to remove the rear pads and (using a fine sandpaper) run them against it to remove any glaze. I use an up/ down motion, which is opposite the way the pads hit the brake track. Seems to improve braking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see any damage on the rim that will affect braking. I forgot to mention that the front rim is different, the front is an Araya (don't remember exactly) and aluminum. I will try cleaning it with alcohol and see if that helps at all. Thanks

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
trust us. there is nothing out of the ordinary about a CD rim. the majority of all alloy rims used on race bikes during the 80's and early 90's were hard anodized and those of us riding then managed to survive w/o doing anything magical to our brakes...which were no where near as powerful as today's brakes. clean the rim, get some good pads, ride your bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The true cause.....

Tige3,
The majority of your brake loss is coming from your brake its self, ie Brake Flex... This is the amount of flex that your brake caliper moves once the pads have made contact with the rim. If you go with a good Swiss Stop pad will help but the fix that will work best is replacing your brake itself. I know that is not the answer you are looking for... But replacing your rim or pads is not the answer.
Here is a good article for you.... Link

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.