Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What is your commuter frame made out of?

• Aluminum

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Steel is real

Votes: 54 72.0%
  • Carbon

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Titanium

Votes: 2 2.7%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious which type of frame do you commute on? I am just curious about the frame itself; I realize that almost all forks and seat posts are carbon these days. I am thinking about trading in the Alum bike for a Carbon, but it will be another year or so before I spend that much money.............Thanks MTT :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,124 Posts
You can do what you want, but I probably won't be building another carbon commuter. Don't get me wrong, I loved and looked forward to my 10miles of commuting everyday, but I got in one little crash with a car, took almost all the impact on my body, but the dropout bent just a little bit (my wheels were barely out of true after the impact). The dropout was aluminium and couldn't be bent back, and even Calfee doesn't want to mess with dropouts.

I'm back on steel and feel much better hopping curbs and locking it up.

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard good things about steel, but I worry about the rain. Did you guys treat the inside of the frame, or did it come that way? Why don't you worry about rust?

· Registered
2,124 Posts
MTT said:
I have heard good things about steel, but I worry about the rain. Did you guys treat the inside of the frame, or did it come that way? Why don't you worry about rust?
Unless you leave a wet sponge in one of the tubes you really shouldn't worry about internal rust. If your frame isn't raw unfinished steel you shouldn't worry about external rust.

I had a pair of Phil hubs that oxidized before the steel frame.

· Registered
868 Posts
I have two commuter bikes. One is a Kona Paddy Wagon which is a steel single speed and the other is a Cannondale Badboy converted to single speed, which is aluminum. The Badboy is now the rain and snow bike, because it is older, not because of the frame material.

A carbon bike for commuting as you suggest would work but this suggests a bike that costs a lot more money and I would be more afraid of someone stealing it then anything else. Unless of course you have a safe parking spot.

· monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
I commute year round in the Northwest. Never used anything but steel, never worried about rust. I just treat the inside of my frames with Boeshield.
Buy some JP Wiegels frame saver. Treat your frame once every three years and never worry. Its a much heavier waxy goo than the boeshield and will adhere to the inside of your frame far longer.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
MTT said:
I am just curious which type of frame do you commute on? I am just curious about the frame itself; I realize that almost all forks and seat posts are carbon these days. I am thinking about trading in the Alum bike for a Carbon, but it will be another year or so before I spend that much money.............Thanks MTT :thumbsup:
I commute on 2 steel bikes.

1- Rivendell Romulus- steel frame, steel fork, aluminum seatpost. This is my main commuter when there's no ice to deal with. It gets ridden rain or shine. Has yet to rust even a little. The paint still looks new, even after several thousand miles.

2- Generic trek MTB frame (got for free on the side of the road on trash day), steel fork, Aluminum seatpost. This is my winter bike. It got ridden through heavy snow, ice, axel-deep slush, salt and crud. Frame has not rusted even a little, despite rarely being cleaned all winter. Powdercoat is thoroughly trashed. (it was already in bad shape when I found it).

My advice if yer really looking for a commuter is keep it simple- If yer gonna spend carbon money, skip the carbon and go with custom steel- it's easier to lock up a skinny tubed steel bike, a skinny tubed steel bike will attract less attention at the bike rack, and it's easier to tell if a steel bike has been damaged. Plus, it's hard to find a carbon frame that has rack mounts or fender mounts.

Rust really isn't an issue.

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
I've used 3 different bikes for commuting...

because they all have eyelets for racks. It happened they are all steel (one has a carbon fork).

Once in a while, I ride my carbon bike; it's a treat, but requires advance preparation to bring in clothes, etc. and means I must make plans for lunch other than bringing it in that morning. Come to think of it, it's time to do that again.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I commute on a single speed, steel frame w/ steel fork. Mostly because it was cheap. I like it a lot. But to be honest, I think frame material doesn't matter at all for a commuter. I also wondered about the rust issue, and asked here. I ended up not doing any sort of internal frame treatment. I was surprised that MB1 has never treated any of his (or Miss M's) steel bikes, and they ride in the rain all the time.

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It really sucks that some of you all have to worry about your bikes getting taken. I work for a large company, so we have a secured spot, which means on the sunny days in the summer I ride my Litespeed. Man I love that bike, but I would never disrespect her by riding in the rain :p :cornut: MTT

· Registered
14,776 Posts
"disrespect"

MTT said:
It really sucks that some of you all have to worry about your bikes getting taken. I work for a large company, so we have a secured spot, which means on the sunny days in the summer I ride my Litespeed. Man I love that bike, but I would never disrespect her by riding in the rain :p :cornut: MTT
There's no disrespect in using a tool the way it was designed to be used. As a bonus, ti don't rust, nor corrode much at all.

Embrace the rain! (I say this with my fingers crossed, as the afternoon forecast is for chance of severe thunderstorms :)

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
MTT said:
I hope you weren't referring to me. I bought a bike specifically for commuting, and wanted to keep it under $500. I spent $325 out the door. I also work for a mega company, with a bike rack in a private parking garage. In one of my prior buildings, we had bike lockers. I just didn't want to spend $2k on a commuter. I used to commute on my good roadie but wanted something lower maintenance. Hence the single speed.

That said, there are a lot of people (most?) that do have to worry about theft.

· Registered
5,555 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
Buy some JP Wiegels frame saver. Treat your frame once every three years and never worry. Its a much heavier waxy goo than the boeshield and will adhere to the inside of your frame far longer.
I've never had any trouble with Boeshield in the ten or so years I've been using it, and I think the guys at Boeing know what they are doing. One large can has coated multiple frames. Before that I just used oil and spread it around with the help of a air compressor.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
MTT said:
Yeah, I take my bike inside at the office, too. But you can't exactly do that at the grocery store, the drug store, the library, the farmer's market, the hardware store, the park or any of the other places I ride instead of driving.

A titanium bike yer afraid to ride in anything but perfect weather is useless.:mad2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.