Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All other things being equal, if I swap out my entry level steel Motobecane from bikesdirect for more serious bike (I figure I'll start researching that later), what type of performance increase should I expect?

5%, 10%, more?

My current bike is stock everything (sora) and probably weighs in around 25lbs (just a guess).

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
expect no noticeable difference in reality. What gains you will see: lighter wheels accelerate faster, more gears might improve your average speed due to steadier cadence. The 5 to 10% increase can be achieved by a superior bike fit, better shoes, and getting your strength up.

·
Registered
638 Posts
You'll see a huge difference. and it'll all be mental. theres something about a new bike..... its a fresh start, a new friend, that first time with a new girlfriend getting to know her and really setting the foundation for your relationship. All of that will make you faster and happier.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you go from a 25lb bike to a 16lb one you will see an immediate difference. If you average 17mph you'll up that to 17.5.

Generally, most folks who upgrade don't see an actually differance due to the fact that they are already riding a good bike.

What I ride today is technically a better bike than what I road 20 years ago and weighs 6lbs less, however, my times on local rides and annual time trail races are not as good as what I did then. Sure I'm heavier and older but I don't think the new, wiz bang stuff actually changes much.

Locally, the times for many of these races haven't changed much over the last 20 years either.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
1000islerider said:
All other things being equal, if I swap out my entry level steel Motobecane from bikesdirect for more serious bike (I figure I'll start researching that later), what type of performance increase should I expect?

5%, 10%, more?

My current bike is stock everything (sora) and probably weighs in around 25lbs (just a guess).
If you're already riding a fair amount, a lighter bike will climb a little better, but that's the only place you might see an appreciable difference in your performance. Depending on where you live, that might be worth quite a bit. However, if you're not riding much now, a new bike might lead you to ride more which could improve your fitness level. That would, in turn, improve your overall performance.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
raymonda said:
Locally, the times for many of these races haven't changed much over the last 20 years either.
bingo.
seriously , the pros not so long ago were running HEAVY ass steel and far fewer gears, and their times are frikken amazing.... carbon nano whatever, cycling is still a sport of the man over the machine...

suggest coaching, for all we know u could be on the wrong size and position on your bike tho... get some expert advice, and not from a salesman.

suggest going along w/ a club and riding w/ a cat 2 or 1 rider up some sort of grade on a fast ride.. hell even cat 3 if u haven't raced before... then u'll have an idea of what u need to do to get faster... a lot of those guys are brutally fast and they ride disposable crap for the crits...

just my 2..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.