Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
roaddog said:
Specialized makes a mens and womens version

I don't know a single woman who rides a Specialized saddle, and I ride with a very large club. I'm not saying that no one does; I'm sure plenty do. But I do think there's a reason that 1-2 manufacturers completely dominate the women's roadie market... they've got the product that is making the most folks happy. It isn't Specialized.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
twrecks said:
If you're tired of all the reviews from guys here, go over to mountain bike review (mtbr.com), they have a womens forum that is full of questions like this and no guys with un-helpful tips.

(I'm a guy but who could resist seeing what girls are talking about with no guys around?)

Yes! Get advice from women. I agree (I am one). I'm actually surprised how many men decided to put their two cents in on this thread, and I think some of 'em gave bum steers.

I also think that all this concern about precisely measuring sit bone width makes it all sound too complicated. Although sit bone width is a factor is saddle comfort, the best way to get a feel for it is to just get a good women's road saddle and ride it, especially with a shop that will allow you to exchange it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Look for a Terry Saddle

jessica47201 said:
Hi, I am the newest that a newbie can be. I just bought my bike, a 2006 trek 1000, stock except for the computer. I understand that riding is going to be painful or uncomfortable until my body gets used to being on a bike again. But I am going to have to upgrade to a better saddle. My measurements are 5'7", 180lbs and a size 14/16, but most of the time 16. What type of saddle should i get for my butt. I am serious about riding and I have a 14 mile route I like to do. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!
Hi there....
I think you actually got one good recommendation from these guys...
A Terry Butterfly.
I personally don't like to have anything other than a Terry saddle on any of my bikes (I have 3 - well 4 if you count the old cruiser, but that's got an original spring saddle, and well....you can't mess with that). Comfortable, without being overly padded...too much padding is not a better thing for a saddle.
Good luck and welcome to cycling! :D
Regina
(p.s. - yeah...and a follow up to one person's response..where the heck is the women's forum???)

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
My wife also likes these.

San Marco and Avocet made women's saddles very similar to the Selle Italia women's and those have worked as well for her. Right now she has one that says NORCO on the back and I think it embarasses her Pinarello, but she's happy riding it and that's what counts.

OP, regardless of how you feel about posting a photo of your own, you missed a chance to amuse or amaze all of us with a picture of somebody else's butt.

·
Registered
838 Posts
How 'bout this one? Should be a conversation starter!

Seriously, don't get carried away and buy too big a saddle. I'm skeptical of the butt-measurement stuff. Do you have some friends with bikes you can test ride? I have a gel cut-out on my mountain bike saddle (they don't make it anymore) but my road saddle is the famous San Marco Asspain (Aspide). I was SHOCKED that I liked it when it came OEM on my bike, but there you go. I made the mistake of saying something along the lines of "if you're going to have something stuck in your crotch for hours it should be something small" on the MTBR site, and some people (GUYS) thought it was hilarious, but you get the idea. Get yourself some Pearl Izumi Ultrasensonrs and a tube of A&D to compliment whatever saddle you buy. Have fun!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts