Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my situation - I am in the process of building up a carbon fiber frame bike, and am starting to look at wheels.

I would describe myself as a fast recreational rider, putting in about 200 miles per week on average. I live in an area where it's mainly hilly (my standard weekday loop ride has about 2600 ft of total climbing over a 25 mile loop). Fortunately, I am 140 lbs and 5' - 7" so it makes the hills a little easier. I generally climb in the saddle and can power up hills. I do longer rides on the weekend, including one long flat ride where I usually put it into a big gear and push. The roads I ride on are usually pretty good except for an occasionaly pothole here and there.

My question is what type of wheel I should be looking at if I can only get one type (or rather, if my wife only lets me get one type) - a lightweight racing/climbing wheel, an aero "V- type" wheel (heavier but more durable), or a training type wheel (heavy, more spokes and bombproof). Ideally I would like to have a lightweight wheel that is durable enough for everyday riding (for the type of riding I do) but I am not sure that is an oxymoron. Of course, a training wheel would be the logical choice, but it seems to defeat the purpose of building a lightweight carbon bike (of course, my current bike is a 23 year old Guerciotti and is about 24 pounds so anything is light compared to that). I thought that perhaps a aero V type wheel could be a compromise between light weight, durability, although it does nothing for aerodynamics since most of my rides are hilly by nature.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I am kind of in the same boat, I weigh 135 lbs.
You don't have to sacrifice much weight for a deep V rim.
I am looking at using Velocity Fusions or Kinlin XR-270 with Sapim CX Ray spokes.
This will provide some aerodynamics while not adding much weight and not break the bank. I can probably get by with 20 front and 24 rear but I feel better with 24 front 28 rear.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
depending on your budget, I would look at the reynolds carbon wheels.. the MV32 is avail in clincher, is pretty light, 32mm profile, really good quality cx-ray spokes/ and Dt 240 hubs... if cash is a consideration, then u can always go down a peg to the attacks..

if a little more aero is in order consider the assaults.... Clicher carbon, around 1500g is a pretty good 'do it all'... JMO

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
DeLuz said:
I am kind of in the same boat, I weigh 135 lbs.
You don't have to sacrifice much weight for a deep V rim.
I am looking at using Velocity Fusions or Kinlin XR-270 with Sapim CX Ray spokes.
This will provide some aerodynamics while not adding much weight and not break the bank. I can probably get by with 20 front and 24 rear but I feel better with 24 front 28 rear.
even better... u can be around 1400g with the 27mm kinlin/cx-ray/dt combo...

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
zipp 343, Al/carbon, 42/53mm, $$$$
flashpoint 40/60, Al/carbon, 40mm front, 60mm rear, ~$1200
soul 5.2c, all carbon, 52mm, $1165
soul 6.0, aluminum/carbon, 60mm, $1050
williams 50c, $999 !

not carbon, but light, deep and inexpensive. claimed to be
durable for everyday use.
soul 4.0 40mm Al, $420

EDIT: i forgot about neuvation's carbon clinchers
normally $1200, now on sale for $890-ish.
http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels.html

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I’ve had zero problems with my ugly-ass-looking trendy Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels. Best $700 I ever spent on a set of wheels, considering their light weight. To hell with aerodynamics for the type of riding I’m doing, as I need the drag to slow me down going down hills, so it seems.

·
Texas Cyclist
58 Posts
Rolf Prima Elan Aeros are durable lightweight wheels. I have used them for four years and 10k miles without incident (I weigh 138#, my bike is 15.5#).

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ksyrium SSC SL have been the best wheelset I have ever owned. Probably got around 8k on this set. they have survived a couple years of racing on bad roads

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am a big fan of the Mavic wheels, I know a LOT of people have problems with them I owned a pr of the SSC-SL and they were great, I then opted for a set of ESs on my last bike and still find them a great wheel. I know of all the tests about aerodynamics and all, but for me I find them fantastic. I also own a set of Cosmic Carbones, another fantastic wheel set.

The ESs just feel fast for me when I have them on my bike, and I am no lightweight @ 90kg.

Isn't it great that we are all different and have different likes and dislikes.

cheers

Ralph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts