Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have been biking all my life but just got started into RB last spring. I purchased an 07 Team tarmac off of ebay and have been hooked since.

Unfortunatly the Roval echappee E5s that come with the bike have developed a small crack on the rim near a spoke. Im screwed since I am not original owner.

Anyway I need a new set soon as the crack will get worse. I am an overwieight 6' and 210lb casual rider, no races. I do about 50-80 miles a week just to stay fit.

I have been looking at Neuvation and Flit, but not sure if I am too heavy. Any advice is appreciated.

Thx

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I'm a "realistic conservative traditional" when it comes to wheels. I care nothing about the eccentric designs that marketers dream up to boost sales (low spoke numbers, paired spokes, gaudy decals) and go for proven wheels that are easy and inexpensive to fix (the fancy wheels are not).

Wheels like the OpenPro/Ultegra wheels are a benchmark and the ones at BWW for $235 are a bargain. You'd pay over $300 for the parts alone to build 'em yourself. Go with the DuraAce hub version if you want hubs like jewels. I have both sets form BWW and they make great wheels at incredible prices.

DT Competition spokes and brass nipples would make perfect wheels for you - shod with a minimum of 25mm wide tires.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
32 hole 3X ultegra with Open Pro black, with 23mm tires.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm sure you'll get lots of input from those more experienced from me, but I would say that you could get a great set of wheels hand built for a reasonable price that would be customized to your needs.

I use DT Swiss R1.1 rims and hubs and they have been very durable. Open Pro rims with Ultegra hubs are also supposed to be a strong combination. Velocity rims with Ultegra hubs could be another good combo.

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1 on the Open Pros/Ultegras 3x 32's
I am 210 been using them on my commuter and weekend bike.
They take NYC pot holes and the hills outside the city. I ride anywhere from 4500-7500 a year and never had a ride related issue with them.
The ONLY time I had a problem was when the LBS tweaked a wheel and over tightened it and the rim cracked within 3 weeks in 4 spots.
I now tweak my own.

You want a wheel that will get you home if you have an issue on the road, easilly fixable spokes, hubs etc.

That said, I think BWW has the best deal going.
What ever you buy, have the wheels checked with a tensionmeter before riding.

Rob

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! to everybody. I like the open pro and the price at BWW. Is there a significant benefit to the DA hubs, I saw a auction on ebay with the XTR hubs too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nope

rcekstrom said:
Thanks! to everybody. I like the open pro and the price at BWW. Is there a significant benefit to the DA hubs, I saw a auction on ebay with the XTR hubs too.
The DA's are lighter and actually they can be less durable. I've had DA hubs go bad but never an Ultegra, something in the bearing make-up.

That said, you are getting handbuilt wheel from BWW and a great price.

Rob

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are all the open pro rims from BWW clinchers? Can you recommend a set of tires for them too? I never had clinchers just tube, not sure I know how to get them on. lol Thx.

·
Registered
150 Posts
rcekstrom said:
Are all the open pro rims from BWW clinchers? Can you recommend a set of tires for them too? I never had clinchers just tube, not sure I know how to get them on. lol Thx.
Yes they are.
I use Conti GP 4000 or 4000S, 23 or 25 from Pro Bike , cost about $35 each, free freight takes about 5 days more or less. They retail in the $50 range , but you may find them on ebay also.
I have had good success with them and generally you will hear good opinions. Some people complain that they are tough to mount on the rims, but I have not had that issue or maybe I forgot my first time using them.

Like all tires you may get different opinions and reasons.

Rob

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
rcekstrom said:
Open Pro rims are clinchers. For tires - Michelin Pro 25mm (love mine), Conti 4000s.

You asked about DuraAce hubs. They are much nicer finished and detailed inside and out compared to the Ultegra. They have fine aluminum axles compared to Ultegra's steel. They have a titanium cassette carrier. I have both and I prefer DA but Ultegra are a great value for the money.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
good advice above... I'd go with 28c tires if they'll fit in your frame.

(used to be 230, know what I'm talking about)

·
Registered
273 Posts
i;d go with openpro/ultegra... value for money....

or if u have more money,can build like mine

mavic open pro with tune hubs and dt revs.. 1430 grams with rim tape.. 32 spokes..

·
Registered
62 Posts
BWW cxp33 and ultegra

I'm 6'8" and about 230 and have been riding on set of mavic cxp33 w/ ultegra hubs from BWW. They have been great so far, and take a beating on my comutes.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Tire size is dependent on whether you "ride heavy" or "ride light". Do you tend to plow through pot holes? Do you hop over them?......It boils down to this...."Are you observant"? I can't see anybody in your weight range needing anything more than a 25, unless they were a total spaz.
If you think that you need a 25, you could try a 25 in back and a 23 in front. This set-up will allow you to ram through most small pot holes without fear of pinch-flatting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks OP for starting this thread. I was going to ask the same question, but don't need to now due to all of the great info shared in the answers.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Tire size is dependent on whether you "ride heavy" or "ride light". Do you tend to plow through pot holes? Do you hop over them?......It boils down to this...."Are you observant"? I can't see anybody in your weight range needing anything more than a 25, unless they were a total spaz.
If you think that you need a 25, you could try a 25 in back and a 23 in front. This set-up will allow you to ram through most small pot holes without fear of pinch-flatting.
I found this post funny. I definitly "ride light", I pick my lines and move accordingly I rarely have to hop over a pot hole and will never plow through one. I will probably go with what I have on there now. I think 23s. I am used to MTB so i tend to look ahead in the road for troubles.

Great info!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts