Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what sort of pressures people are running.
I'm one of those converts to around a 100psi for racing and general riding - maybe a little less for wet roads. I reckon you roll much better and get much better grip. Any other followers of lower pressure? or maybe you are a high pressure follower?
What do you think?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I ride about 100psi front and 105psi in the rear. Anything more and it's gets harsh for me on less than perfect roads.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
About 100 for me...

Depends on the brand of tire. Some tend to ride a bit soft, so I tend to add a few (5 or so) psi. I noticed this when I went to Vredesteins - they seemed to feel much softer at 100 psi than the Michelins they replaced, so I inflated to 105 initially - peace of mind I guess - I got sick of wondering if I had a puncture or not on the first several rides. Not a whole bunch of ride difference (I weigh 200 lb) at 105, but if I put a gauge to what I feel is a properly inflated tire (for me), they average out to about 100 psi.

·
Administrator
12,977 Posts
Around 105-110 for me.

·
hi, I'm Larry
2,254 Posts
I like high pressure but it depends on the road

On a course with mainly smooth roads and I want to go fast, I like to take my Vreds all the way up to 145.

On normal or rough roads or just goofing around, I like about 125-135 on the Vreds.

If its wet, icy, dirt or packed gravel I take them down to about 110-120.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Rarely over 100, often 75-80 (w/fat tires)

I weigh about 230 these days (it's winter; give me a break), and I've given up both tires skinnier than 32mm AND pressures over 100 psi. Occasionally I'll run 28s (which usually measure about 24mm in real life) and pump them to 100-105, but probably 80 percent of my riding is on 32 or 35mm Paselas at 80 or so. Rolls fine, comfortable, and I wouldn't be fast enough to impress anybody even if I pumped them to 150psi.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
110 on both....

...I noticed any lower and it feels to soft.I have gone higher in the past but have backed it off for a smoother ride.I don't feel theres a substantial loss of speed at the lower pressure do to the fact I'm slow to begin with. :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Seems us slow guys are probably the most content riders.While everyone else is trying to get faster we just ride for the fun of it.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Depends on the tire..

I've used a lot of different tires and they differ as to psi. I weigh 195-200 (winter) and I inflated my Conti GP3000's (what I usually ride with) to 105 F/R. I was running 120 and slowly dropped my psi over a long period of time after reading Uncle Al's article on the RoadBikeRider.com newsletter a couple of months ago. I recently installed Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX's and I started out at 110 and they felt fine. I dropped to 105 and my rear tire felt real squirrelly on descents (like I had a flat). I checked the sidewall when I got home and they listed the psi rating as 8.5-10 bar (115-145), so I inflated back up to 115.

I think the inflation level you set your tires at has a lot to do about the brand of tire, your body weight, the type of riding you do, and the types of roads you ride. I don't think it's one-for-all.

Another factor to consider is the gauge on your floor pump, most are not accurate. My old Blackburn pump was 5 lbs under the indicated setting. You should take the time to calibrate your floor pump and adjust accordingly.

I noticed that riding with a lower psi made my bike ride better and my tires last longer. You have to experiment. I started by dropped my psi 5lbs a pop and over a period of months until found what felt best for me.

But like I mentioned not all tires are the same. I just installed new tires on my Ford F250, switched to a different brand (same size) and it rides like a different truck. Bike tires are the same way...

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
110 rear/100 front on Axial Carbons. I'll drop both 10psi in sketchy conditions. My logic for the front/rear dichotomy is not that I want to avoid pinch flats in the back, but that I want better traction in the front. Last time I washed out the front tire I wound up with about 30 stitches in my chin. I'd rather avoid that.

·
Slow-poke
100 Posts
I weigh ~150lbs and I ride with 100-110 psi in the tires.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
GP3000 f/r both at around 105

Hereford Flyer said:
Just wondering what sort of pressures people are running.
I'm one of those converts to around a 100psi for racing and general riding - maybe a little less for wet roads. I reckon you roll much better and get much better grip. Any other followers of lower pressure? or maybe you are a high pressure follower?
What do you think?
the roads are in usually fair condition. i try and avoid potholes. but they definitely are not smooth like new.

when the 3000's get below 100psi they feel too squirrelly as if going flat. i weigh about 180-190 and this is on a steel frame.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
100-115

100-115 in 23cm GP3000s. I weigh about 200 though so lesser pressures would subject me to pinch flats.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I have been running 95-100 PSI in the front and back (down from 110) for over a year and found that I get fewer flats and more comfort. I cannot notice any handling differences, but I do not race.

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Same here always 120psi

It's like a ritual, before every ride, along with the 3 cans of Red Bull!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts