Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim Nazium's thread reminded me that I wanted to start this one:

What was the hot new thing in road bikes when you got your first "real" road bike? Doesn't have to be something you had, just something that was hot when you first got started.

I got my first proper road bike, a cherry red Nashbar with gold logos, in 1984. I believe the new hotness, which this bike did not have, was indexed downtube shifters. Does that sound right to folks? I think about a year later Look came out with a reliable clipless pedal.

So, date yourself: What was hot in road bikes when you first started riding seriously (even if there was a big gap in there, like me)?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Seven speed Sun Tour New Winner freewheels.

·
Super Moderator
40,808 Posts
Campy Nuovo Record. That was the shizznits, unless you were a heavy tourer, and then it was French componentry, specifically Huret and TA. But a couple of Japanese firms had come on the scene, including one who would attempt to challenge the dominance of Italian road gear with a brand it called "Durace."

High-quality clincher tires that could run tubie-like P.S.I.s were just coming out.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Quick releases instead of wingnuts.

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
212 Posts
Clipless pedals and brake cables routed under the tape

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Real bike

Ha ha, not gonna count the JC Higgins with Huret, wing nuts on the hubs etc.

For me 6 spd (126mm) and short reach brakes.

1975 Gios Torino bought direct from the US distributor. Threaded fork was uncut and sourcing the axle, freewheel and brakes were not easy. Finally got the axle, had a machine shop mill the slots and found a Cyclo-Pan freewheel, 6speed. It wasn't that easy back then and in hindsight, I should have bought the complete bike but I already had a lot of the components.

bikeboy389 said:
Jim Nazium's thread reminded me that I wanted to start this one:

What was the hot new thing in road bikes when you got your first "real" road bike? Doesn't have to be something you had, just something that was hot when you first got started.

I got my first proper road bike, a cherry red Nashbar with gold logos, in 1984. I believe the new hotness, which this bike did not have, was indexed downtube shifters. Does that sound right to folks? I think about a year later Look came out with a reliable clipless pedal.

So, date yourself: What was hot in road bikes when you first started riding seriously (even if there was a big gap in there, like me)?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
The Clipless MTB SPD pedals that came stock on my road bike... that's when it was serious...

It was like... I have to go buy shoes now?

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Watching the TDF... and then seeing Lemond win in 86!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Super Champion clincher rims, Fiamme Red Label tubular rims, Binda Extra straps, Derailleur pulleys with teeth, cotton handlebar tape, 700C clinchers were all cutting edge. Side pull brakes came on the scene soon after, as did anodized components.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts