Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
I don't think it is really going to work that way. I mean, assuming that this question flows from your multiple other threads (all variations of "I'm on a budget so how do I get the right bike?"), you are coming at the issue backwards.

You can't find the perfect answer (a la 2002 Bianchi Eros or whatever) and then go look for one that fits you. Rather, find out what is out there in your size at your price point. You can then perhaps ask here if the price is good (fair) or what to look for. But finding a used bike suggestion and then searching for one in your size isn't the way to go.

Also, candidly, any used bike within your budget is likely to be a Shimano 105 or Tiagra spec'd bike of at least three years old, unless you just get lucky. Have you tried the Classifieds from this site?

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
This was my favorite. It was a 1992.....I removed the 1's when it got home. Does this help?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Steve-H said:
Need I say more ?

Man sweet ride! I remember riding my Big wheel. I miss the supurb stiffness of a full plastic disk wheelset. They should try making road bike versions of these. Although I dont think they'd make it that far from the K-Mart parking-lot

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mmmm.... that was my '81 or '82 Huffy BMX bike - no recall the model. Got it when I was in 2nd grade with birthday money I got from a grandmother. Rode it throughout grade and middle school and spent countless summer days just toolin' around on it. No doubt put thousands of miles on it, but never got a flat that I can remember, never had to fix anything (except re-adjusting the handlebars after I thought I'd try jumping it). Just had to swap rear tires once in a while for some reason. Oh yeah, I remember why now:

We could leave a wicked evil skidmark!!

Doubt you'd fit it, though, 513xj. :)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
alienator said:
This was my favorite. It was a 1992.....I removed the 1's when it got home. Does this help?
I've owned a lot of bikes, pedal and motor, but I never had a Duck. In fact, I can't remember ever even riding one. Sure would have liked to though.:(

My 2 favorites were my Falcon Team Pro, circa 1972, and my Schwinn Black Phantom, circa 1954.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
With one exception, every bicycle I've gotten has been better than the one that went before. My latest, a Time Edge Translink, is the best yet. Yeah, the Colnago Dream that the Time replaced had a certain swagger the Time can't quite match, but all told my latest is the greatest.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
All-time fave was a pink '56 Raleigh, later a Motobecane

My all-time favorite was my first "lightweight" bike, a pink Raleigh I got for Christmas in fifth grade. It was a singlespeed, but LOOKED like a "10-speed" back when those were pretty rare: Thin tubes, 24x1 3/8 tires (instead of the fatties my friends had), with fenders and a chainguard I immediately removed
Modern-era fave was a Motobecane Gran Jubilee w/Campy components, which I rode in the early '90s until I folded it up in a bad crash. In retrospect, at least, I liked it about as well as my Rambouillet.
This probably doesn't help you much in your quest, but thanks for the chance to reminisce...

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
My two faves..

were my Diamondback racing BMX bike, that thing rocked, bent the forks though and had to replace them, and my baby blue Haro Freestyle BMX bike with white seat, grips, and polyurethane mags. Had a BLAST on that bike, not as fast or as light as the other one, but you could do so many tricks.......jumps and ramps were fun too...:D

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
A candy red Nashbar with gold accents. Beautiful. It was completely classic, right down to the tan cork bar wrap and gum brake hoods.

6-speed, downtube shifters, lighter and faster than any bike I'd had before. I believe it was mostly Suntour Superbe Pro or something.

I used toe clips with cleated Detto Pietro shoes--perforated leather, laces, and not a spot of grippy stuff on the bottom of the shoes anywhere. I don't know how many times I nearly did the splits trying to walk in those things.

It was 1984, I was a freshman in college just getting an interest in competitive cycling and triathlons, and I'd never even SEEN a bike as nice as that one, and I mail-ordered it for the extravagant price of something like $300. I remember I had to borrow a hallmate's car to go pick it up at the shipping depot in the next town over.

Since it was the first bike I'd ever ridden that was actually a good, reasonably competitive bike, I've had a soft spot for it ever since. I actually still knew were it was until a couple of years ago when the second owner (a high-school friend of mine) sold it when he moved. I'm sure it was in the same near-mint condition in which I sold it to him--I don't think he ever rode it much, and generally just kept it in the spare bedroom of his apartment. If he'd let me know he was selling it, I would SO have bought it back.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
undies said:
Bah. Me and my Cheetah used to eat Big Wheels for lunch :p

Alien, was that your 888? I have long coveted an 851 or 888.
No, I never got a picture of mine. When I had it was a bad time to own Ducks. Parts were scarce, and it took a long time to get 'em. And Ducks weren't so reliable, then. I had it for a year and a half before I decided I wasn't rich enough to keep it running and that given my payments on it, it wasn't worth all the time it spent down, waiting for parts from Italy. I had it on the track, once for a day, and it was oh so nice to pilot on fast twisties. I ended up trading it in to help populate my race motorpickle stable and pay for more race parts. If I could find an 888 today, I'd buy one, 'speshly if it had an SP3 or better motor. I think they look even better than the vaunted 916's did. Don't care too much for the latest Duck look. Second sexiest Duck of all time? The Supermono. Ooooeerrrrrrr. I wanted to race one of those sooooooo badly.

BTW, my favorite old bicycle was an old Schwinn with 3 on the top tube. It were painted red, had a white banana seat w/ a black stripe down the center and a sissy bar, and was topped off w/ bicycle ape hangers. That ride rocked. Some bastard stole it from me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts