Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up the other day and I'm in the process of cleaning it up and I've already ordered some new white leather tape and am going to put my san marco rolls on instead of the regal on it now . The seat will be white as well. The bike is all Campy .
Anyway ,I'm a little stuck on what color scheme to go with on the wheels.Should I continue the white motif I have going ,go with all silver,or all black ,or combination there of? I want clinchers by the way .
I ride mostly fast group rides but am a masher . I weigh 210 at the beginning of each season but quickly dip to under two hundred.I do the occasional light climbing session but I live in Ohio,so it's not like it's several thousand feet lol. I want something strong more so then light but obviously want them as light as possible with that criteria . Mainly I'm looking for color suggestions but if you want to suggest a set that's great too just follow the above ?I have a budget of 500-700 dollars for this project in terms of wheelset.If you suggest a set ,I have no interest in open pro builds for this . I also prefer hand built but any suggestions are welcome .
Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think all silver but with blue nipples would look pretty good. Polished White Industries hubs, silver spokes, silver Velocity aeroheads with blue alloy nipples would be on the low end of your price range and weigh in the mid 1400's. You could also do white rims with the Velocity aeroheads.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Depends on whatcha want. I loved my first gen Cosmics for fast rides that don't require a lot of stopping and starting. As an added bonus, they're period correct-ish. AFA JRA wheels, D/A or Campy with some box-section clinchers would also be period correct. OR some Sun rims with box in the front and 'aero' in the back ala the old-skool pros.

Or just run whatever if havin the old-skool look ain't important.

M

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CIOCC FAN said:
Something like this;

XR-270 rims, silver Aerolite spokes, DT 240s hubs.
I ended up with something similar in look to this. I ordered Velocity aeroheads,white Industries H2 hubs,Sapim spokes and blue nipples from Troy at LIgero .
Btw,Troy is en extremely nice guy to deal with . We ended up on the phone for over an hour just talking about random things . I would definitely recommend seeking him out to anyone looking to go handbuilt . I certainly plan to order from him again:thumbsup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes blue nipples - and the silver xr-270 - and the white h2 hubs. Shwing!

·
Registered
727 Posts
For my retro build I just used de-stickered Open Pro's with 36 DB spokes. Polished up the rims. Looks pretty old school to me without the downside of running really period parts.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Those Nuevations look alright to me. Since you're riding this mid-90's Colnago, it doesn't seem like it needs to be period-correct. Black tires and black (instead of white) bar tape to go with your black saddle, IMO.

I would very much like to get one of these in a 52. Very difficult to find in pristine condition, tho. One of the all-time great bikes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fast ferd said:
Those Nuevations look alright to me. Since you're riding this mid-90's Colnago, it doesn't seem like it needs to be period-correct. Black tires and black (instead of white) bar tape to go with your black saddle, IMO.

I would very much like to get one of these in a 52. Very difficult to find in pristine condition, tho. One of the all-time great bikes.
I would just leave the wheels on but they have a shimano hub. I just put them on the bike so the frame would have something to sit on until my new wheels get here. Agreed ,they are very hard to find in good shape.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
yes - i think the guys nailed it with the blue nips, silver rims, low spoke combo.... would look really nice...

can't think of anything better than nio27 + WI h2s.

not that you asked - but that is a beautiful build - but the carbon campy really erks me.... i think even the modern alloy centaur ultra levers would look better + new alloy derailleur... maybe its just me tho.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
CIOCC FAN said:
Something like this;

XR-270 rims, silver Aerolite spokes, DT 240s hubs.
Damn! Those are hot!

I have a set of Whit Ind/CX-Ray/Nio27(black) wheels that I really like. I think a set of silver White Ind/DT Aerolite/Nio27(silver) with silver nips would be totally the bomb. I love nothing more than to see silver components with silver wheels, especially on vintage type bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts