Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the option of either putting a powertap on a carbon deep aero wheelset that I will use on my indoor trainer, racing and occasional training rides, or to put them on training wheels that I will log most of my miles on. I'm undecided which one of these will give me the best data. I'm thinking that it would be racing and indoor trainer.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
That's what keeps me from owning a PT... I'd need two of them.

Of course you could use your training wheels on the trainer. I'd lean towards putting the PT on your everyday wheels... seems like that is more important for tracking your training. It is very nice to have the info for post-processing after the race too though...

If you gotta race on carbon rims, you probably should get two PT hubs... it's only money. Look at it this way... then you'll have a backup too!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I had a thread asking a similar question-I bought a powertap about a year ago and built it around a Reynolds alu clincher rim I was using as a training wheel (31mm, 450 grams). It is definitely nice to have race power data, so use it in races as well. I was thinking of something like a zipp 404 clincher to upgrade it (with the idea that with the alu section it would be more durable than a totally carbon rim).

As rruff says, you can always get 2-still cheaper than 1 srm. The powertap has worked flawlessly by the way.

·
Rider
22 Posts
Depends... Training with a powertap for the first year has GREATLY increased my fitness level, results, etc. Granted it would be nice to have a wheel to race on... But if you have a coach and or know your goals for training and want to increase actual performance use it for training as that IS when you get faster. A PT can motivate you through hard intervals and let you stabilize your power output for more effective pacing. If you just want to see your max outputs and look at some cool power files (I have raced with mine and it's fun to analyze afterward) then go with the race wheel. For me I have the PT on my training wheel / not priority race wheel and have a disc cover (home made) for TTs when pacing is really important. If you are going to build a race wheel the new edge 1.68 rim is a great rim. VARIABLE SPOKE TENSION...

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pulling the trigger

we're putting in our team order to Reynolds today. It's between getting the SDV66 with the power tap or the Solitude Alum. (I'd likely relace them onto a new pair of assaults) In the past (pre-powertap) I've found that my indoor training sessions are really critical to developing, lot more focused towards specific goals and being repeatable I can see what my weaknesses are. I can design a workout and execute it pretty simply. Typically the road is more putting into action what I have developed on my trainer and getting more base miles in. I prob do about half my training indoors. Most of the time I am on the road I am with team-mates. I keep my racebike in the trainer and have a seperate bike for logging the miles. That being said, if a powertap can get me the same kind of training parameters on the road that I can do indoors I'd love to figure out how to do it. When I download my current training data, races really show me a lot more about what my max effort is, whereas road training data has always been kinda crappy. Stopping for lights, waiting for guys to catch up etc.... The best data has always been from my indoor training sessions. If powertap is totally going to change that, then I'll put it on my training wheels, but I am tilting towards the race wheels. (Plus the SDV66 look so bad arse it's sick and I love the whoo, whoo, whoo sound of a pair of deep carbon wheels getting up to speed...also will spring for the $200 replacement guarentee so I can log training miles and not freak out over potholes...guess I just decided)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went through the same process. Went to a 404 and a Niobium 30 for training. Bought a PT w/out cpu for $700 (new). Well worth it to me. BTW, this Fall, Cyclops is releasing the Updated PT that transmits Ant+ Sport

·
Rider
22 Posts
Trainer / group rides

sounds like you're making the right decision if most of your critical development truly is done on the trainer. Other than that sounds like other than a social aspect your group rides might be leaning more towards the unproductive side. Separate groups and finding people similar in pace might increase your benefit from group rides. Aside from flat tires there really shouldn't be much waiting.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Different strokes... I hate trainer riding with a passion. I only ride it when the snow is too deep to get outside...

Plus... back when I rode in groups a lot more often, they were always "races", but I guess that can vary also.

Some other considerations. If your racing involves a lot of climbing then the extra weight is at least a minor consideration. A more important one is that you'd like your racing wheels to be "fresh" (little used) and shod with racing tires and latex tubes... which makes them not very viable for the trainer and daily riding...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.