Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts

·
CX'er
863 Posts
I've had very good experiences with velocity aileron rims built up by velocity or elsewhere. The specs would be pretty close to the November wheel above.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
If you can build your own wheels.......build whatever suits your needs and budget. I assumed you wanted prebuilt wheels.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for the endorsements.

The XT-based wheels seem like a fairly good deal, actually, subject to a few things. First, if you have a 12mm front axle, you can't use XT hubs. They only come in 32h lacing, which may or may not be a thing for you. The standard build is with straight gauge spokes, and I'd 100% recommend that you get at least double butted spokes instead of those.

Crests are good rims so long as you have no plans to use anything basically smaller than a cx tire on them. We do a fair number of builds with Crests for 40mm gravel tire type of stuff. If you plan to use road tires on the wheels, don't use Crests, though Grails are a great choice in that case. CC will do a set of Grails with DT350s, which are fine hubs, but again you're limited to 32/32 lacing and you should definitely get double butted spokes. We do a lot of Grail builds and they are very good rims.

As for pricing, I don't know what CC's costs are but they must be lower than ours. We simply can't make the point often enough that our prices are the minimum that work. Right now we have intro pricing on the FSWs and free shipping on wheels in December, and you know to be 100% frank I kind of hate having to do even that. It's just the lowest demand part of the year, and seemingly everyone else is doing bigger discounts (most have much more margin to give back in the first place) so we need to do something just to have any volume at this time of year. But we put a ton into every aspect of the build and customer experience, and that has costs which have to be covered.

But while we have good solutions for everyone, and I'd say we very often have the best solution for specific things, we can't be and aren't the lowest cost solution every time. Yours may be such a case.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

The XT-based wheels seem like a fairly good deal, actually, subject to a few things. First, if you have a 12mm front axle, you can't use XT hubs. They only come in 32h lacing, which may or may not be a thing for you. The standard build is with straight gauge spokes, and I'd 100% recommend that you get at least double butted spokes instead of those.

Crests are good rims so long as you have no plans to use anything basically smaller than a cx tire on them. We do a fair number of builds with Crests for 40mm gravel tire type of stuff. If you plan to use road tires on the wheels, don't use Crests, though Grails are a great choice in that case. CC will do a set of Grails with DT350s, which are fine hubs, but again you're limited to 32/32 lacing and you should definitely get double butted spokes. We do a lot of Grail builds and they are very good rims.

As for pricing, I don't know what CC's costs are but they must be lower than ours. We simply can't make the point often enough that our prices are the minimum that work. Right now we have intro pricing on the FSWs and free shipping on wheels in December, and you know to be 100% frank I kind of hate having to do even that. It's just the lowest demand part of the year, and seemingly everyone else is doing bigger discounts (most have much more margin to give back in the first place) so we need to do something just to have any volume at this time of year. But we put a ton into every aspect of the build and customer experience, and that has costs which have to be covered.

But while we have good solutions for everyone, and I'd say we very often have the best solution for specific things, we can't be and aren't the lowest cost solution every time. Yours may be such a case.
Thanks for the info! I need to go back and figure out what front hub. This is a custom steel Rock Lobster gravel frame with 142 x 12 thru axles so you may be right it's 12 in front. This disc stuff is new to me.

The rim weight on those seems a bit high at 485 when Mavics are around 460 (I don't care so much about hub weight). I'd likely be using Clement X'Plor MSO in 700 x 40. Should have clearance up to 43.

Thanks!

edit: oh and 14/15s for sure. Brass nipples cause AL nipples can start to creak in my experience

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
The XT-based wheels seem like a fairly good deal, actually, subject to a few things. First, if you have a 12mm front axle, you can't use XT hubs.

I never knew this. I went to Shimano's site and sure enough, all their thru-axle hubs are either 14 or 15mm. So if I get the gravel bike I'm looking at right now (12mm thru), that means I can't build a wheelset with Shimano hubs. You would think Shimano would want a piece of this market.

What's interesting though, is that Shimano sells 12mm thru-axles by themselves.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
The rim weight on those seems a bit high at 485 when Mavics are around 460 (I don't care so much about hub weight). I'd likely be using Clement X'Plor MSO in 700 x 40. Should have clearance up to 43.

The HED Pluses are better rims (albeit more expensive) than Mavics. And the difference in weight is insignificant, especially with the tires you will be using.

·
changingleaf
709 Posts
Note, DT 350 6-bolt hubs do come in 28h Front and rear. Now there's also DT 350 Centerlock hubs in 24h or 28h front and rear. I'm building up a set of 24 hole soon with Boyd Altamont rims, but the price is in the $700 range with the more expensive rims and after converting the hubs to QR.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'd say the opposite, given that the Mavic is both narrower and significantly shallower, and will be less stiff. And claimed weight is... well... if it matters, check it. But in any case 25g is pretty small potatoes. You'd never ever notice it.

Note, DT 350 6-bolt hubs do come in 28h Front and rear. Now there's also DT 350 Centerlock hubs in 24h or 28h front and rear.
But they aren't options at Colorado Cyclist in the builds OP is looking at.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Deleted.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts

What a guy. You admit to Henry that you can't compete with CC on price and that it's probable that you won't sell him a set of wheels but STILL you stay around and give Henry some good advice. Take a bow November Dave. I hope you're blushing.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What a guy. You admit to Henry that you can't compete with CC on price and that it's probable that you won't sell him a set of wheels but STILL you stay around and give Henry some good advice. Take a bow November Dave. I hope you're blushing.
LOL I don't even know what happened there. Glad to see Mike T is still around. RBR has been seeming like more of a ghost town lately.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If it is a true Gravel bike look for the widest rim you can find, especially if you plan on running 40s. My rims are SL25, 25 external and 20 internal. My next set will be even wider.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts