Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live on maui where it's windy female weigh 120 want a great set of climbing wheels. some peps say zipp 202 or 404 tubeless or American classic tubular. Please help me decide

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
There are still some questions to be answered. We know your weight and your intended use, so from that alone I can say that your next wheels need to be decently light and don't need a high spoke count. However, that's about it. It'd be helpful if you could address the following:

-What current wheels are you using and their approximate mass?
-How steep and long are your climbs and, in turn, descents?
-What is your budget for new wheels?
-What tire setup are you most accustomed/comfortable using? (clincher, tubular, tubeless)
-Do you need 700c or 650c wheels?
-Are the winds on your rides mostly headwinds or crossing winds?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Yeah, we need a little more information to make a more informed suggestion for you. BUT for me specifically, my zipp 202 tubulars with conti. GP4000s have been fantastic for climbing. Just finished a century with 10,500' of climbing. For a little more aero advantage but still awesome for climbing, zipp 303s tubulars ( on my second bike) are also superb. Finally, the Enve 3.4 tubulars ( on order) appear to be fantastic for climbing as well.

I am 5'8" and weigh 139.5 lbs.

Any one of these wheelset should be good for any types of wind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have Zipp 202 tubulars. I can't ride anything else for climbing...spoiled with their low weight. I also have Zipp 303 clinchers which I like but not so when climbing. They work fine but knowing I have 202s it's hard to put these on. I live where it's hilly and flat and to get home I have to climb. I demo'd a pair of Zipp 202 clinchers and now I own them. They feel just as light as the 202 tubulars but descend like nothing I mean nothing I have tried before. They have an "excellent" rode feel...smooth but not numb to the road. I find myself altering my rides so I can corner...so confident with these wheels. I think it would be hard to find a better wheel set for climbing and DESCENDING.
I don't think my 303s and 202T' will see much action anymore.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I too have Zipp 202 tubulars. I can't ride anything else for climbing...spoiled with their low weight. I also have Zipp 303 clinchers which I like but not so when climbing. They work fine but knowing I have 202s it's hard to put these on. I live where it's hilly and flat and to get home I have to climb. I demo'd a pair of Zipp 202 clinchers and now I own them. They feel just as light as the 202 tubulars but descend like nothing I mean nothing I have tried before. They have an "excellent" rode feel...smooth but not numb to the road. I find myself altering my rides so I can corner...so confident with these wheels. I think it would be hard to find a better wheel set for climbing and DESCENDING.
I don't think my 303s and 202T' will see much action anymore.
Your 202 clinchers are firecrest right? How about your other ones?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Regardless of what wheels you get here's a bit of a warning. If you ever go up Haleakala with carbon wheels be aware of your rims heating up. Carbon rims fail catastrophically(especially clinchers) when heated up severely. When I descended it on my alloy rims they were getting very hot and I'm only 5-10 pounds heavier than you. That aside I think that the best wheels for you would be (in on order) enve ses 3.4, zipp 202, zipp 303, and the reynolds 32 or 46. You can't go wrong with any of those wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.