Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on some nice light wheels in the $400 range... been looking at odds and endos a bit, not so sure about the hubs there though... any advice would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I have narrowed it down to;

Cane Creek Volos SS
Easton Circuit
Nuevation R28 series
Something from Mike at Odds and Endos
Neuvation M28 Aero

You can find them all for less than $400 shipped. The M28's are less than $300 shipped. I'm ~200 pounds and ride lots of hills. Are the M28's noticeably heavier?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a set of Neuvation R28SL's. They now have about 500 miles on them, still true and pretty light for the money. Only problem I have had was with front rim strip causing flats, installed velox tape and no more problems. BTW I am 155 and ride on fairly smooth roads.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
I second the Neuvations

I have around 1000 miles on my Neuvations. I had the same rimstrip problem...mystery flats until I put on some velox tape.

I am 190lbs and ride hills, flats, potholes, etc.... I have had no problems. In all fairness to the original poster: I have recently ordered a pair of Campy Vento wheels from 11speed.com to be my "everyday" wheelset. Super light, low spoke count wheels are not meant for big guys like me to use every day. If you over 175lbs and ride a 1500g wheelset everyday, be prepared to replace the wheelset after 10,000 miles. I plan to use my Neuvations on my long Sunday group ride and when I go to Colorado in the summer. The Ventos (1795 grams) will more readily hold up to a guy my size. Just my $.02

·
wut?
14,590 Posts

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Hand built

bikerboy337 said:
Looking for advice on some nice light wheels in the $400 range... been looking at odds and endos a bit, not so sure about the hubs there though... any advice would be great. thanks.
For $400, you can get a great set of hand built wheels based on a name brand hub (Chorus, Record, DA) and a good rim, like a Velocity Aerohead OC in the back, Aerohead in the front. A factory built wheel at that price point is NOT going to be as good as your hand built option.

·
But it's a dry heat...
286 Posts
Easton Circuits. Best damn "factory" wheel I have ever owned based on a combination of stiffness, durability, efficiency, and aesthetics.

Do a search on this board for the Easton Circuits and you'll see scads of positive comments about them. I don't think there is a better wheel for <$500 IMHO.

Thx...Doug

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
For $400, you can get a great set of hand built wheels based on a name brand hub (Chorus, Record, DA) and a good rim, like a Velocity Aerohead OC in the back, Aerohead in the front. A factory built wheel at that price point is NOT going to be as good as your hand built option.
You might be right, but I think those Equipes are a great deal. Maybe not at full price, but for $265, how can you find a better wheelset?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Speedcific hubs

bikerboy337 said:
I hear that the hubs were redesigned last year... they had problems with the roller bearing on the early models. I haven't heard anything bad about the new ones... I'd guess they are good for the money and weight.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hand-built in that price range. Select the best hubs/rims/spokes for your riding style & you'll be happier in the long run.

BTW- Two LBS's in my area do not think highly of the Equipe (although they both carried them). Both strongly steered me toward OP rims with DA or Ultegra hubs for my purposes (25-50mi training rides). I chose Ult/OP's and have been well pleased so far. Not the lightest (1.8kg/set with skewers), but solid and bullet-proof (at least so far).

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Performance has the campy record/open pro 32 hole with butted spokes for $300, add $50 to have your LBS do a final trueing when you get them and your set. You can't build them this cheap, maybe better but not this cheap. Nashbar has the Velomax circuits for $399.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
$400 price point

Scotty2Hotty said:
You might be right, but I think those Equipes are a great deal. Maybe not at full price, but for $265, how can you find a better wheelset?
You could be right about the Equipes at $265 being a good deal, but they is not nearly as good a wheel as a $400 hand built set.

·
Registered
178 Posts
A set of Velocity Aeroheads from Mike Garcia will cost you well under $400 and will be strong and light. I've had a set for over a year and the hubs have been flawless. I went with 32 spokes front and rear for ride quality and strength and they still only weigh 1566. grams. I'd also talk to Eric Gottesman of http://www.ergottwheels.com/. I just had a set of DT Swiss R1.1s laced to Am. Classic hubs, 28 front and 32 rear, they weigh 1466 grams. I've only had them about a month, but so far I really like them and Eric was great to deal with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts