Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Overtaxed RBR member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manager of my lbs (who is a very good rider) is trying to talk me into Mavic R-System. I am also interested in Hed Ardennes and Campy Shamal Ultra. I have about 20k miles on my older Ksyriums, and they are shot. I am using my Zipp 404s on climbing rides and I don't want to break them.
I am 6'2" and 170 and an aggressive climber, so I need a stiff, tough wheel. I owned a set of Rolf Prima Elans for about a week before I got rid of them. They were light, but on any steep grade the back tire would rub the chainstays when I was out of the saddle.
Any recommendations?:confused:

· S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
I like the Ardennes and, would guess they would be a great wheel for you. As well, the new Shimano 7850-24CL appears to be a first class wheel that is well engineered - not some wheel built from a box of parts.

· Overtaxed RBR member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peanya said:
Look at the SL's instead of the R sys maybe? A tiny bit more weight, but still strong. If you've gone 20k on your old wheels, that's good.
I think i'm gonna go for the SL's. I read a lot of reviews on the R-Systems and the spokes seem fragile and the wheels detension and creak.
The 20k on my old Ksyriums included a new freehub body and replacement of all the back spokes at least once. I am in need of a new freehub body again and the back rim is beginning to show stress fractures around the nipples.
Thanks for the replies.:D

· Registered
2,286 Posts
20k requiring all new rear spokes and freehub is not that great....

similar wheels that are prolly better quailty... highly suggest dt 1450 mon chasserals, consider similar wheels built on your choice of hub 28h on either OPs or 1.1s... may also look at fulcrum if you like low spoke... the racing 3 is posited at around same level as campy zondas... nice quality wheel with damn fine hubs... (record loose-ball internals)

· Overtaxed RBR member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read a lot of good things about DT wheels. I am also considering a custom wheel buils using either King or DT hubs. I am a mountain biker and King hubs have been bomb proof for me. Mavic wheels are nice to look at and stiff which I like, but the freehubs are junk (obvious if you take one apart). I pulled the nipples through the rim on first gen crossmaxes 3x-they warrantied them twice and told me I was out od luck the third time. The second gen rims held up better but the aluminum spokes didn't. I was constantly popping them, especially on climbs, and i am only 170lb.
....if only Industry nine would come out with their road wheels:mad2:

· Registered
2,286 Posts
sorry, didn't see that u are also considering shamals... nice wheel... alu spokes i dunno about.... u'd run that on a shimano bike? or are u running campy? cos if u are u are SOL again re: kings... shimano only.... no loss, not exactly light... dt 240 kills them there... much cheaper too..

u really can't go wrong w/ customs... but the ardennes are nice if u have to have a factory wheel... nice rim feature too... what i like about them, is if u need to u can redo the lot w/ cx-rays... nice... only thing i don't like about campy wheels.... damn nice quality, but replacement parts, esp spokes are a joke... no biggie i s'pose if u have multiple wheelsets... that's where a custom shines... really great back up wheel... u can split the rim and bend spokes and be back up and running inside a day... awesome. try that w/ factory wheels...

so if u don't have custom back ups, i suggest getting onto them now, and being impressed.... if u still want factory wheels u can do so later and have nice customs to fall back on....

seriously... u want nice customs: if u are running campy.. record hub... OP rims... or dt 1.1 if you prefer, but the OPs are prolly more reliable unless u go for the heavy double eyeletted 1.1... 32h rear obviously, WI front hub, or hope, or king if u want for a 28h front... all cx-ray... u are looking at a sub 1500g wheelset no joke and strong as all hell, and ANY lbs worth a damn can sort u out for rims and spokes... very cheaply too (which i why i reccy OPs they are everywhere and online u can replace them for around 50-60USD)... seriously look at the custom option, u know it makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.