Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Proud luddite
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the Cubs have finally won the World Series, I'm wondering what will be the next most unlikely sports achievement. On a NNC note, perhaps Tyler Farrar winning the TDF? :D

My alma mater is Northwestern so for me it would be a national championship in men's basketball or football. Just ain't gonna happen. Ever. :(

What's your team's unlikely achievement?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you had asked this question 3 months ago, I would have said "UW Huskies win a national championship", but they are in good position to make the playoff (still half a season to go - including Cal today), and it doesn't seem so far fetched right now.

I guess my version of the Cubs winning the World Series would be for the Mariners to win it all. I know historically that seems to in the "Ain't gonna happen" file, but they were actually pretty good last year. If they can get similar performances from key players next year, and upgrade a few spots, they might have a shot at the playoffs where anything can happen.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
US men's national soccer team winning the World Cup. I don't see it ever happening.

And now my Indians are in sole possession of the longest world series drought.:p

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
Duke University beating any SEC team in football. Duke football has been much better lately but SEC football is an entirely different sport.

Agree with USA never winning World Cup in soccer. Maybe if American football gets banned or goes down the tubes. Most of our best non-endurance athletes go to the big three sports.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
My alma mater is Northwestern so for me it would be a national championship in men's basketball or football.
most would rather have that degree than be an also-ran in any sport.

but NW is playing some pretty good football these days.

that game on 8/23/97 still hurts.

my sooners' unlikely achievement is celebrating nat'l titles in softball and mens & womens gymnastics, while our football team is struggling on d.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
UW Huskies win a national championship...
win today and you'll be in the top four on tuesday (with the a&m loss).

a&m gave up almost 600 yards to msu. i thought the sec could play d? wtf?

i'm sorta rooting for the huskies too. i'd like to see college football make a comeback in seattle.

that game on 1/1/85 still hurts... even though i was at this game:

that's sam bradford handing off to demarco murray in a 2008, 55-14 win.

·
Proud luddite
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you had asked this question 3 months ago, I would have said "UW Huskies win a national championship", but they are in good position to make the playoff (still half a season to go - including Cal today), and it doesn't seem so far fetched right now.

I guess my version of the Cubs winning the World Series would be for the Mariners to win it all. I know historically that seems to in the "Ain't gonna happen" file, but they were actually pretty good last year. If they can get similar performances from key players next year, and upgrade a few spots, they might have a shot at the playoffs where anything can happen.
On a Seattle note, how about Seattle University (my son's alma mater) winning the college basketball championship? That's another "ain't gonna happen"! :D

·
Super Moderator
40,809 Posts
My favorite sports team has already achieved it; the Reds' magic number is 162.

But most unlikely sports achievement: Lance Armstrong undergoes transgender surgery (and getting a huge discount on it from his doctors, because he's already 50% off), becomes Laura Armstrong, evading sanctions levied against her former self, and goes on to dominate women's pro cycling for years.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
US men's national soccer team winning the World Cup. I don't see it ever happening.
Ever is a very long time.

I do think that is my most unlikely/favorite team pick. I would not bet on it happening in my lifetime, that's for sure. But eventually? I can see that happening in less than 108 years, let's just say that and move on. :D

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
a win in south bend will make up for a lot of heartbreak.
Yes that was sweet, in a season otherwise with a lot of heartbreak. On the bright side it's nice to start a football game with some optimism. The 90's were just numb resignation of a defeat waiting to happen.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Ever is a very long time.

I do think that is my most unlikely/favorite team pick. I would not bet on it happening in my lifetime, that's for sure. But eventually? I can see that happening in less than 108 years, let's just say that and move on. :D
I should've said "in my lifetime" :) I grew up playing and loving soccer, so it would be truly special for me to watch.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Rutgers converting a third down.

Reactions: weltyed

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
My team losing a college national championship. RTR!

My team losing a college national championship.
RTR!

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Rutgers converting a third down.
they got one yesterday!

(one.)

next week is the battle of the 2-7 teams, rutgers and mich state.

mich state is 2-7? damn.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
they got one yesterday!

(one.)

next week is the battle of the 2-7 teams, rutgers and mich state.

mich state is 2-7? damn.
OK, a Big 10 win then... RU did everything they could to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... This transition could be a long and difficult road... not that we aren't used to it.... Uh Rah!

·
Proud luddite
7,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Americans will start watching professional cricket......and will understand the scoring, too!
I've got it all figured out already....knock all the pins down in two tries and it's a spare, knock them all down on the first try and it's a strike. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
40,809 Posts
I've got it all figured out already....knock all the pins down in two tries and it's a spare, knock them all down on the first try and it's a strike. :thumbsup:
Wait, the object isn't for the pitcher to try to hit the batter dude? Isn't that why he's got all that padding?

I just thought cricket pitchers' aims really sucked, or they'd be pitching in MLB....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts