Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the dishing required for 9 and 10 speed applications, won't the next innovation be a return to internally geared hubs? I've looked at the Rohloff 14-speed internally gear hub. True, the gear ratios are quite right for the road, but the concept is golden. Able to run 10 gears or more without having to deal with changes in chain angle or dishing the rear wheel so heavily. I'm sure a company with the engineering resources of Shimano can easily find a way to improve (make it lighter, look better, and work with the current STI setup that everyone likes) it. The Rohloff hub looks a bit crude compared to current road stuff due to the torque arm and big cables running to the hub. I know shimano already makes a 7-speed hub, but that ain't meant for racin'.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Mechanical efficiency. Overall, the greasy chain and derailleur is the most efficient (power transfer) system going. That is its wildcard.

Sun gears and other things they put in hubs don't run as freely, but for sure, it would be neat to see it improved.

·
The Edge
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Under lab conditions the current derailer setup is the most effecient. Last specs I saw were 99-96% over 95% for the best internally geared hubs. However, after 30/50/100 miles after the chain has been relubed or cleaned, which is most effecient? I know it will depend on what oil and environment, but aren't there conditions where the internally geared hubs would be better? I too would like to see a stretch-free belt to a light and effecient internally geared hub that only required cleaning once a month or once every 3000 miles. Bikes are low maintenence as they are, but having a race bike that never needed having the shifting calibrated would be awesome!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,566 Posts
Whatever it is like, it will cost the same as Record.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Super light Dura-Ace road disk brakes?
With more superlight carbon rims being made - slowing down can become less effective under heavy braking on a carbon surface. Why not do away with the problems of making a nice smooth or machined braking area and shift the braking to disks.

·
On your left
145 Posts
Shimano has a U.S. patent for up to 14 speeds using deraillers and cassettes. Search the old forum archives & you might be able to find a picture. It has an unusual chain with arched links. I won't be rushing out to buy it. 9 speeds is enough for me right now. Of course I said that about 8, 6, and 5 (I skipped 7).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.