Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, my friend is looking for a starter bike and the added rigidity and knobby tires of cyclocross bikes is a good idea for the kind of bad roads, gravel and dirt paths we have here. We checked the local bike shop and the cheapest they have is a giant TCX 2 (which he said looks awesome) for about 950$ without the 12% tax. Other than that, Direct bikes has good deals on motobecanes (cross and cross CX) within his price range.

What are the other bikes to look into within his price range ( or is there somewhere I can get a TCX for a better price :p).

PS: this is my first post, you don't need to bash on me if this isn't the place to post, just point me in the right direction .

· Pedaling Like Mad
378 Posts
I like the Motobecane Fantom Cross. A generic build as far as the aluminum - frame and assembly goes, it's yet another bike from the Asian mega-factories. But the gear set is good for the money - Tiagra/105. It has a carbon fiber fork, front and rear mounts for fenders/racks and an externally geared crankset. The same component features on name brand bikes will add at least half again as much to the cost.

There are downsides:

- You dont get the name brand* service and attention that accompanies an LBS purchase.
- Subsequently, you need to be able to do your own wrenching.

So, if you're a total fumble bum with wrenches and dont know a spoke wrench from an allen key, you may prefer to lean on the support staff at the LBS. In that case keep saving until you can purchase a shop-sold name brand cycle. No sense mucking up a decent bike through ignorance.

But... hey if youre not a "name slave" and can handle the mechanical chores... well, there you go.

* Those who have been around awhile remember the old Motobecane bikes, one of my faves from years back. They held the company of other legendary European makers like Peugeot, Gitane, Compagnolo, etc. For many years, they were a name to be reckoned with.
Todays "Motobecane America" is not the same company, but from what I read they are trying to live up to the name... :)

· Administrator
13,172 Posts
Redline Conquest?

· Pedaling Like Mad
378 Posts
Coolhand said:
Redline Conquest?
Heres one that blindsided me. Coming from the -cross side of cycling, they seem to be focused on building rugged bikes that can take it.
The Conquest looks nice, and has about the same feature set as the Motobecane Fantom.
Both are cyclocross bikes that, when sized right, would make fine, durable commuters.

If you are a name gamer, LBS buyer, get the Redline. Looks great!

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Redline conquest looks good, I'm trying to find a dealer here in Quebec but its kind of hard, we seem to only get there bmx line and nothing else, my LBS guy will contact his supplier on Monday to see if bringing one in is possible.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as they have nice prices on the redlines, they don't ship, and driving 1500 miles to save money beats the purpose :|

Are there any dealers in the northern Vermont area, or dealers that ship free or cheap inside continental US (ie: upstate New York is an hour drive)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.