Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BobtheBuilder
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asking a lot of questions lately on here and I wanted to get your opinion on something.

I have been approved for a $1000 loan(from the wife) to purchase a road bike.

I have pretty much decided on the Specialized Allez. Now I just have to chose which one.

I can get the normal lower level Allez Double for 600 out the door. Shimano 2300 components, a basic starting point for a road bike.

I have not got a price on the Allez Sport double, but it is listed at 850 on the website. I am pretty sure I can get it cheaper but not 100%. This has a mixture of Sora/Tiagra components, same exact frame.

With $1000 would you buy the lower level bike and get road shoes, road pedals, a new set of shorts, etc with the hopes of upgrading components at a later date or would you buy the Sport and use your mountain shoes, mountain pedals, mountain shorts with the hopes of upgrading that stuff at a later date.

Again I know this is a decision that I ultimately have to make, but I was curious as to what you would do.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
You didn't mention a model year and you may already be aware of this, but rumor has it that the Allez frame has been refined and both Tiagra and SRAM Alex groups will be offered for 2011, so you may want to check with your dealer (assuming you're interested in exploring these options).

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
EastonZ16 said:
Again I know this is a decision that I ultimately have to make, but I was curious as to what you would do.
Personally I'd get the most bike/componentry I could swing now, and use whatever accesories you have (pedals, shoes, etc) to get started. The reasoning here is that the new bike is going to make the biggest difference in your riding at the start, then you can upgrade the accessories along the way without needing to toss components you just bought and paid for. For me, this approach maximizes the effectiveness of your spend short-term and long term.

Besides, it's pretty easy to sneak a new pair of pedals or shoes into the house later, but she'll surely notice you swapping out derailuers and cranksets!

:thumbsup:

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Cash

EastonZ16 said:
I have been approved for a $1000 loan(from the wife) to purchase a road bike...
Well if it were me I would never borrow money to buy a bike. I am loath to even borrow money to buy a car but can at least understand that.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
Well if it were me I would never borrow money to buy a bike. I am loath to even borrow money to buy a car but can at least understand that.
I assumed he meant that tongue-in-cheek, with reference to his wife being the "lender" on this finance deal.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I'm not big on loans either. From that standpoint, if those were the choices I'd go for the less expensive one and pay it off ASAP. Then think about the extras.

But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a bike with one group with the plans to upgrade to something else fairly soon. Buying a bike with what you want already on it will be cheaper and you don't have to buy it twice. Buy what makes sense to you and enjoy it - there will always be new stuff coming out to tempt you.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Terry

RJP Diver said:
I assumed he meant that tongue-in-cheek, with reference to his wife being the "lender" on this finance deal.
Well in that case perhaps he(?) should be looking at Terry bikes. I know I would not want to pay the interest rate associated with borrowing money from my wife, making the Vig each week would suck.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I am taking it as not an actual loan but the wife has OK'd spending $1,000 on a bike.

I would get the bike you want for $1,000, but would wait until they start discounting them next month; use your mountain shoes and pedals and then ask for the road shoes and pedals for Christmas. With the discounted savings from the bike, you might be able to pick up a pair of shorts, Also be prepared that your bike shop will probably give you 10% off when you purchase the bike; so let's say $850 - 10% = $765, gives you $235 to spend; which depending on the type pedals you want, you could get the shoes and pedals for that amount and maybe even the shorts. You are close, go for it.

My other thought is to walk in the room and tell your wife you are going to by the bike you want and the shoes/pedals, etc and you don't care what the cost is. After you do that, call me I know a couple of good divorce lawyers, :)

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
+1 (or +3 or +4, whatever we're up to) on going ahead and getting the better-spec bike and let the clothing and accessories slide a bit. You'll never again have the chance to upgrade as cheaply and easily as when you make the initial purchase.

·
BobtheBuilder
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No it was meant to be tounge-in-cheek. I definately wouldnt take a loan out to buy a bike. I think I am leaning towards buying the slightly better bike, but possibly waiting for the '11's to come out in force and buy a '10.

Thanks guys or gals

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
EastonZ16 said:
No it was meant to be tounge-in-cheek. I definately wouldnt take a loan out to buy a bike. I think I am leaning towards buying the slightly better bike, but possibly waiting for the '11's to come out in force and buy a '10.

Thanks guys or gals
Go with the better bike. More bang for you’re the buck. Large manufacturers, like Specialized, get huge volume discounts on components, and some of that saving is passed on to you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not sure what your ultimate goal for cycling is, but I think the lower priced steel bike is more interesting, if a bit heavy. You can always shed a couple lbs by upgrading the wheels at a later date.

As for components, the downtube shifters will work flawlessly...though they're just not as effective for racing.

·
Vintage cyclist
732 Posts
I'd never take out a loan for a bike, either.

Save up a few hundred dollars and get a nice one from Craig's List. While saving figure out your size, so that you get one that fits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts