Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I've been riding a 2003 Specialized Allez elite with full 105's for about 9 months now and love the bike. My buddy just bought a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced with Di2 and wants to sell me his old bike which is a 2007 Giant TCR Alliance 1 (or A1) at a great price. It also has 105's. My bike has a triple ring and his is compact.

I'd like to ask you your opinion on what I should do? Is the Giant a "better" bike than the Allez. What gain is there in riding the A1 over the Allez. I can sell mine and buy the new so money is not an issue, just looking for reasoning on what I should do. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Take it on a long test ride, and see if it feels better to you. On paper it's a little better bike (are you sure it has 105? the Giant website archive shows Ultegra), but it's not better for you if it doesn't fit you. There wouldn't be any big performance advantage, anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it has 105's. I definitely will ride it and see how it feels before I buy it. Why is it better on paper? Because its composite? It is 4 years newer, and I can get it cheap and could always sell it for at least what I'm paying for it or more. Mine has some road rash on it but nothing major, his is almost spotless.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
When you buy a used frame you get zip for warranty, as Giant seemingly has a lifetime warranty I'd take this into consideration (the frame is mix of materials).
You go from a frame that will most likely never have and issue with to one with possibility of issues, the difference being a crank. Changing cranks may be easier if you really want a compact.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When you buy a used frame you get zip for warranty, as Giant seemingly has a lifetime warranty I'd take this into consideration (the frame is mix of materials).
Your point makes sense, but presumably the seller would step in and deal with Giant for any warranty related things because they are friends. I would hope so anyway.

·
Registered
23,043 Posts
Yes, it has 105's. I definitely will ride it and see how it feels before I buy it. Why is it better on paper? Because its composite? It is 4 years newer, and I can get it cheap and could always sell it for at least what I'm paying for it or more. Mine has some road rash on it but nothing major, his is almost spotless.
If it's 105 then it's the A1
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2007&Brand=Giant&Model=TCR A1

It's better on paper because if you look at the specs (on paper) 2007 105 is better than 2003 105. But if the bike doesn't fit right, specs are irrelevant. If his bike is more used/worn than yours, specs are irrelevant as yours might shift, rake, operate better.

·
Burnette
98 Posts
Don't Do It

It would be a lateral move at best, exchanging one entry level bike for the next. Good for him to move his old ride but no real world improvement in performance for you.
We all seem to have upgrade-itis, nothing wrong with that, but let it be a real upgrade on your next bike. Keep riding, set goals, improve,learn what you really want/need in your next bike. Then, spend the dough on the frame/components that make sense for your kind of riding.
You will be no better/worse with his bike than you are on your current steed.
Your phrase is "better". My question to you is what would a "better' bike be in your opinion? Lighter total weight? Higher end group? Higher end wheels? His bike is too close in all those categories to be a real difference.
I cannot confirm the accuracy of bikepedia, but if the info is true, the two bikes are not that far apart, little stuff that you won't be able to "feel" if you are looking for a true bump in performance. Your finish times will be the same.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2003&Brand=Specialized&Model=Allez+Elite+27

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2007&Brand=Giant&Model=TCR+A1

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Your point makes sense, but presumably the seller would step in and deal with Giant for any warranty related things because they are friends. I would hope so anyway.
True, it's not likely he is picking it up from a complete stranger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All great information so far. Yes, he is a good/best friend hence the great deal at $400. I paid $350 for mine. I will definitely climb some hills with it to see if the compact crank actually suits me better. I still beat him up the hill the other day that we normally ride, I stay in the middle ring.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Assuming your current bike fits.......put them side by side and bring a tape measure. Keep in mind stems can be changed.

If it passes the size test then test ride it. Worring about which is a "better bike on paper" is somewhat a waste of time. Handling and comfort doen't show on paper and that's all that really matters from a frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that fit and comfort is key. Everyone's information is pretty much what I was thinking. Pretty much even swap except a newer bike. No real upgrade per say, just newer... And a compact crank. I just haven't been cycling as long as some of you and didn't want to overlook or miss something. I'll test ride and report back! Thx for everyone's input! You're a good group of people, just don't let it go to your heads. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.