Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a half-pint of homemade jam at a bake sale school fundraiser. Our school PTC has a table set up at the Fall Festival downtown and I offered to donate some homemade jam but they wanted it priced. I have no idea what it's worth. I have black raspberry, strawberry-rhubarb, and grape jelly. All the fruit came from my garden or I picked wild.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
I'll take some black raspberry for $4.50... does that include shipping?

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love Commander said:
I'd barter for nude photos of some of the cuter moms.
we have those.... no pixxors though :(

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
Creakyknees said:
$5 so you don't have to mess with change.
I can get local and great preserves for under $5 where I live. $5 for fund raising is not out of line, but $4 might bring more volume in sales.

Asking the people who have experience with the fund raiser would be really helpful in setting the price to sell to the people at that location. What have others priced their stuff at in the past? If other people price their preserves at $3, a $5 jar might sit there all day.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Need to know how many ounces but probably $10.
There's stuff in yuppie stores for $10ish so I'd go at least that to some dude who did all the work himself.

I don't think people go to school bake sale because they really see it as a shopping opportunity. They just pick the most appealing thing in exchange for their donation....I think.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only picked 6 jars out of the basement, some stuff I only have a jar or two left for our own use until the season rolls around next year (like strawberry). I have more black raspberry and if I was on the ball could have made a couple of batches of grape jelly last night (7 jars to a batch).

a half-pint is 8 oz.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
innergel said:
$5

Apricot is the best jam/preserves.
I like apricot but we're just far enought north that apricots are hit and miss, if we get a late frost or a hard winter you get nothing. My neighbor gave me a basket of apricots this summer but they hadn't been well tended and I think most were picked off the ground and not off the tree and spoiled before I could do anything with them. :mad:

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
$4.75 for one, and they might just give you a quarter tip.

or $5.00 for 1, 2 for $9.50. wait, we dont need to worry about margins because youre donating.

the problem with goin over 4.75 is you are now looking at breaking the $5 barrier. "$5 for a jar of jam? i love my kid and all, but $5? mother smuckers."

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
DLMKA said:
I like apricot but we're just far enought north that apricots are hit and miss, if we get a late frost or a hard winter you get nothing. My neighbor gave me a basket of apricots this summer but they hadn't been well tended and I think most were picked off the ground and not off the tree and spoiled before I could do anything with them. :mad:
I only have a veg garden so no jam/jelly making for me. My grandmother used to do strawberry when I was young. So good.

But I have made some inroads into pickling this year. My jalapeno plant is doing great, so I've been messing with an escabeche recipe I found. They are a big hit with everyone. I'm going for multiple plants next year. This stuff is great and I'm almost out. I may have to resort to (tragedy) buying jalapeno's to make enough to get me through the winter!

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
innergel said:
I only have a veg garden so no jam/jelly making for me. My grandmother used to do strawberry when I was young. So good.

But I have made some inroads into pickling this year. My jalapeno plant is doing great, so I've been messing with an escabeche recipe I found. They are a big hit with everyone. I'm going for multiple plants next year. This stuff is great and I'm almost out. I may have to resort to (tragedy) buying jalapeno's to make enough to get me through the winter!
Hot pepper jelly FTW!

This year sucked for all peppers for us, we barely had enough fresh jalapenos to eat fresh through the winter much less freeze or pickle for the winter. I'm hoping for a better year next year.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
DLMKA said:
Hot pepper jelly FTW!

This year sucked for all peppers for us, we barely had enough fresh jalapenos to eat fresh through the winter much less freeze or pickle for the winter. I'm hoping for a better year next year.
with garlic and onions

1 - 17 of 17 Posts