Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me, i'd be happy with 2040

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
There is an actuarial table that can answer that question quite accurately. And you can trust your actuary far more than your doctor.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So the actuary table gave me another 31 years to live. If I were a woman it would be 35. So based on that I'm looking at 2048.
I just googled and went with the first one.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
There is an actuarial table that can answer that question quite accurately. And you can trust your actuary far more than your doctor.
Actuarial tables are statistically accurate, but they say very little about any particular individual's future. If the table says you have 30 more years, that's a median. So you have a 50% chance of living that long or longer, and a 50% chance of that long or shorter.

Keep in mind that those tables are for the whole national population. Keep cycling, and your life expectancy is probably better than the average. The Social Security table gives me another 17 years (I'm 66), but I'm hoping for more than that. I want to be like that 105-year-old Frenchman who just set an hour record for his age group.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The SSA actuarial table says I have 18 more years. My retirement plan is built on lasting another 12 beyond that.

Truthfully, I expect to get t-boned by a 4x4 any day now.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Medicare is up in the air right now. If they gut it then Seniors will die sooner. If they gut Social Security then Seniors will die fast as they go homeless. I guess the smart seniors can always toss a brick into the Post Office window and they will have food and shelter in jail. As soon as they let you out then just go break it again.

Anyway with good medical care and allowed to live in my house with heat and such then I think I am good into my late 90's. Just look to your parents and grandparents. How did they make out? Obviously omit their longevity if they passed on due to accident or war etc.

My parents and Grandparents all lived into their late 90's. Nobody made 100 however. My Grandfather used to say if he could make it to 100 then he would get to start over again. He passed at 98y/o in his garden.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's terrible that youth is wasted on the young.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
And the table is located where?
we keep ours in the kitchen.

asked it how long i'll live, but it ain't sayin'.

the magic 8-ball is better for that sorta stuff, anyway.

·
Registered
942 Posts
According to numerous studies on the matter -

"The longer you live, the better your chances are of living longer."

Me? my goal is help my grand kids find their way in life, and see their kids born.

As my parents did, who are both still alive. They saw a lot, learned a lot, passed it on to me and my many siblings. They were raised in the depression, were young teenagers during WW II, and taught us, strictly I may add, how to be respectful, but also adventuresome.

I hope to endure to pass those values along.

As you get older and reflect back on your life, this sorta crap starts creeping up on you more.
So I ride, hard, and a lot.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
2362, i hear that'll be a good time to be alive, great things will happen, so I'm aiming for that. I think it's doable*.

* depending on how they go making us live forever.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Actuarial tables are statistically accurate, but they say very little about any particular individual's future. If the table says you have 30 more years, that's a median. So you have a 50% chance of living that long or longer, and a 50% chance of that long or shorter.

Keep in mind that those tables are for the whole national population. Keep cycling, and your life expectancy is probably better than the average. The Social Security table gives me another 17 years (I'm 66), but I'm hoping for more than that. I want to be like that 105-year-old Frenchman who just set an hour record for his age group.
Yes, I'm familiar with how actuarial tables work. if you have actuaries near-by at work, I'd be interested to know if cycling is a longevity factor. I'd guess not, but I'm curious how the data plays out. As a unique activity it may not be data at all, something more like regular activity or exercise? I'd be curious if cycling specifically is considered. Last time I purchased life insurance I don't remember if it asked that among the many very specific questions it does ask....

·
Fat & Single
205 Posts
It's terrible that the young waste their youth.
Given the option of doing the 'Curious case of Benjamin Button', would you reverse it ?

I am 43 and the table says I'll live to 85. I'd sign that deal right now... Dont know if I'd like to start it clocking back down from 43 to 0.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
living to a certain age or year on the calendar is pretty pointless if you're not healthy...

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
"Cycling" includes PED users and perennial substance abusers who've lost their license. When you throw in the impact of these folks and texters on cycling longevity statistics, I'd say you may be right.

Responsible cyclists may be a different matter--especially if they are MTBers.
Yes, I'm familiar with how actuarial tables work. if you have actuaries near-by at work, I'd be interested to know if cycling is a longevity factor. I'd guess not, but I'm curious how the data plays out. As a unique activity it may not be data at all, something more like regular activity or exercise? I'd be curious if cycling specifically is considered. Last time I purchased life insurance I don't remember if it asked that among the many very specific questions it does ask....

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I have a contract to live until the year 2612. After that, I've locked in a position as a supervisor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.