Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen cannondales from 85 to present and must say they have gone way downhill in appearance in my opinion. In 85 they had a head tube cannondale logo and said cannondale on the top tube - one the left and right. That's it, nothing else. Thru the years they have put more and more unnecessary stupid decals and they now say cannondale like 10 times. The current dales just look stupid with all this stuff. Wouldn't you much rather have a current frame that only had a head tube logo and said cannondale on the top tube (and a single color of paint, not this swooshy decally stuff they are doing)like they were back in the day? I'm not dogging the quality and improvement in the frames, just the decals & # of times they say cannondale.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have never really noticed until you have just mentioned it. Just looking on cannondales site most of them are on the seat + down tubes and chainstays. I don't think its too bad once you have your chainstay protector on but if they were to stick any more on then yes I would have to agree with you.

If you think the cannondale is over dressed in decals have you checked out what scott are doing. Just saw a photo of there tt frame. and it looks like 7 scott logo's each side.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,016 Posts
Masi/Ciocc

I believe Masi and Ciocc may have started this trend. I rode with a guy who had a Ciocc and the decals were everywhere, even behind the seat tube! Also, Masi, at one time, were selling the Gran Criterium with product logos (a la NASCAR) to help defer the cost of the bike.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got an 86 Ciocc (Columbus SL tubing). It says Ciocc 13 times and has the "C" logo in another location. What kind of bike is that?!?!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would agree, I am trying to find a newer C-Dale cross frame to do a white with light blue panel job on with one basic "cannondale" on the downtube. You can't remove C-Dale decals unless you strip the frame because they are clearcoated over. I love my '01 C-Dale, all black with 2 Logos on each side and an XR800 on the top tube, very basic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Try a 2005

GaryJaz said:
I agree. Can I order a R5000 without all the heinous decals? If not, can I take them off somehow?
If you can get a hold of a 2005 R5000 (basically the same bike as the 2006), you will notice that the lettering is very subtle. That is part of the reason that I bought one, other than the fact that the R5000 is the best deal going.

My biggest problem is with the warning sticker. They seem to be clearcoated on all of the Cannonballs that I have seen.

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/CUSA/large/5rr5dblu.jpg

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Oakland Raiders Team Issue?

Sharp looking bike, it appears to have matte black paint. I can dig it. The silver cannondale decals compliment the silver components nicely

I don't like the paint jobs (decals actually)that say Cannondale 4 times on the downtube. To me that looks sofa king we todd did. I think they stopped doing that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imagine how pissed you would be if you were a C'dale frame builder and you put considerable effort into smoothing all the precision welds and fairing all the connections between lugs and tubes. Then you send the perfectly sanded frame to finishing and they cover every tube with decals and goop pools of clear coat between all the letters making the frame surface unneccessarily wavey (and heavier for no good purpose). I admire my new six13 team frame for its mechanical merits, in spite of the decals.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
safety first

"My biggest problem is with the warning sticker. They seem to be clearcoated on all of the Cannonballs that I have seen."

so what does it say? do all bikes have these now or just cdale?

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
in case you're wondering

its a CANNONDALECANNONDALECANNONDALECANNONDALECAAD5CAAD5MADEINUSAMADEINUSAMADEINUSAR700R700USPATENTABCDEFGUSPATENTABCDEFGSLICESLICE

oh yeah its also the DONOTEVENTHINKABOUTSUEINGUSWHENYOUDOSOMETHINGIDIOTIC model.

thanks, I feel much better now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts