Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scott R1 (DA / Ksyrium SL's) @ 13.66 lbs

Scott R2 (Ultegra / Ksyrium Elite's) @ 15.64 lbs

$2040 cost diff. Worth it? For me $1500 would be worth it, $2500 probably not. This price diff is straight up the middle of the fence.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I don't think so. Unless I had no improvement left to attain from my body and fractions of seconds effected my income I would not pay $2K for two pounds off my bike. Some people get value out of light for the sake of light. I can't speak for them.

I would pay $2K for lighter AND better performance but the better performance between the DA and Ultegra is probably too subjective to get into and it sounds like the weight difference is all you're thinking of.

And Whereswaldo makes a good point especially once you factor in what you'd get ebaying the Ksyriums. You'd still have enough left over to get a really light crankset (where most of the weight savings between DA and Ultegra is) if weight means that much to you. So better wheels/equal crank and close to the same weight with a little cash left over probably for the price of giving up DA shifters (I don't feel derailers and brakes really matter) might be what it boils down to.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
In that case yes.

The question is will you look at the bike in a year and question whether you should have gotten DA. Especially if you end up loving the ride will you regret not fitting it out with the best? I know that I would end up upgrading within a year.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If it is comfortably within your budget, I see no reason why the DA\SL bike should
be shunned, this is after all your passion and you would presumably be more
enthusiastic about riding the better bike. However, I have always done as the prev
posters have stated, due to budgetary considerations.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I agree with both Hank and Hula. If you have the cash, it could be worth it if you like the rest of the bike. To me it would be a total package issue. I agree with Hank in that if it's purely for the sake of weight (ie: bragging rights for all but the most elite racers) then no. If mechanical/ergonomic function and how the frame fits/rides are all stellar, then yes. I'd rather have a $2k+ frame that is perfect for me and 105 level components than the other way around.

Bob

·
Registered
591 Posts
Meh, I have no need for dura ace over ultegra, and I'd rather have a nice set of custom wheels than fancy Mavics, so not worth it *to me* in this case. I'd buy the cheaper bike, and if budget allowed, a set of custom wheels to go on it.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Can you take 2 pounds off your body? How much will that cost you? I'm going to guess that is the better investment than two pounds off the bike.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great feedback. Thanks! My weight fluctuates between about 158 and 168 so at current 166 could certainly loose a bit (though I had been 200+). Me thinks I'll lower the importance of weight in my decision.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
A 15ish pound bike is going to feel fast as hell either way. It certainly will not hold you back by any means. Shave a few calories from your diet.. get a kick ass set of wheels.. light weight rubber... and you'll have a great bike.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
InfiniteLoop said:
Great feedback. Thanks! My weight fluctuates between about 158 and 168 so at current 166 could certainly loose a bit (though I had been 200+). Me thinks I'll lower the importance of weight in my decision.

With your current weight and the bike weight, you are looking at a 1.1 percent total combined weight difference.

When you add cages, pedals, loaded water bottle, seat pack, the overall weight savings is less than 1%.. Is less than 1% worth $2,000?....

Performance wise- no... If you can afford it and want it- yes....

·
Registered
94 Posts
2 pounds is a healthy deuce in the toilet. So if you feel a large pile of crap is worth $2k, have at it.

Like others have said, 15lbs and under will feel like a really light bike.

Now, $2k toward a coach and/or fit session would make you faster than any weight loss - you or the bike.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
2 pounds is a single full water bottle.

If you have the cash (actual cash, not credit) and have no other pressing needs and your retirement funds are well set up, get the expensive one. But don't fool yourself into thinking that there's a quantum leap in performance.

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
Are you going to race this? If so, you might want to consider minimum weights... Sub-14 lb bikes won't make the grade. I also don't think that DA is that big of an upgrade from Ultegra if we're talking 6700 vs 7900. If you're getting the same set of wheels, I'd save the $$ and get the Ultegra bike. There isn't enough of a difference in performance in my mind, even with the reduced gap (part of that though is because of the change in wheels).

EDIT: Althoug, I believe the R1 has the integrated seatpost, right? That is worth looking into. Some like it, some don't. Just beware that once you cut it, it becomes a LOT harder to re-sell it. However an Addict is a "for life" bike (i.e. you own it for it's entire life, because you'll probably outlive it no matter how much you care for it).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aengbretson said:
Are you going to race this?
Doubtful, but maybe. I'm 50 and just started riding again late last year after about 30 years off. Skin/bone preservation steers me away from racing at this point :) The racing I do now is purely ego stuff trying to keep up with others on club rides.

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
InfiniteLoop said:
Doubtful, but maybe. I'm 50 and just started riding again late last year after about 30 years off. Skin/bone preservation steers me away from racing at this point :) The racing I do now is purely ego stuff trying to keep up with others on club rides.
I will probably hold a view like this in 25 years. But for now I'm young and foolhardy!

Still, I'd have a hard time justifying DA7900 over ULT6700. Fifteen pounds is a crazy light bike. Mine weighs around 17 and I can't imagine it being another 10% lighter!

·
Registered
330 Posts
InfiniteLoop said:

No reason to discount weight. There's some real satisfaction to be had in building and riding a really light bike. It has a wow factor that's just nice. You'll lose weight as you ride the bike. Might as well go for what you want. $2000 is a huge difference for 2 pounds, in my opinion, but selling porky components for lighter ones can really help out and bring that price difference down.

·
downhill quickly
755 Posts
Price/performance wise; Ult6700 is bullet proof and actually I prefer the front side shifting as well as the chainrings felt stiffer to me [so subjective of course]…and I went that way on a new 2010 CF frame last October. That said, DA is always wonderful but today’s performance argument for me is the choice between DA and DI2…not DA v Ultegra…and as such maybe a future upgrade [but a Spec fitting with wheels and rubber came first].

A wise suggestion made in an earlier post would be to “invest on yourself” near $300 and get to a full scope fitting with e.g., Spec BG, Retul, Serotta, the Fit Kit, or Bike Fit Systems . I would bet the $1300 or $2000 or whatever that with a proper fitting [especially when re-entering cycling] those 2 pounds would easily disappear within the first hour of your fitting process.

Either way…enjoy your purchase and ride like the dickens as the ROI is captured in what…a week? :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts