Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember back when I didn't know enough to do my own wrenching. I bought a mountain bike and rode it for a while and took it in for the first free "tune up" that comes standard with the bike purchase. I remember them taking the bike in and putting it up on the stand and doing the most basic of all tune ups. All the guy did was check the torque on the cranks and go through the gears and make a slight tweak to the rear derailleur. Looking back on it now, especially after learning to do my own wrenching, this was a joke of a tune up. I didn't know it at the time but the wheels needed truing, the disk brakes needed adjusting, and probably more that I didn't know about. It seemed as if they just wanted to get me out the door ASAP. I think this type of service is what has led me to learning on my own, plus buying online.

So, do the bike shops around me just suck or is this typical protocol for a free tune up? What all does your shop do/adjust on a free tune up?

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
The free tune ups at the LBS I work for include gear and brake adjustments,check bolt tightness and check/lube chain. If its more than the above, the customer is responsible for the cost of the repair.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts