Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to always be flying the bike somewhere and my new Merlin doesn't seem to feel comfortable in shoving it in a cast-off cardboard box from the LBS.
Any preferences on which case to get (Hard shell) ?

Thanks!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
vantongerloo said:
I seem to always be flying the bike somewhere and my new Merlin doesn't seem to feel comfortable in shoving it in a cast-off cardboard box from the LBS.
Any preferences on which case to get (Hard shell) ?

Thanks!
Well, I just ordered a Sci-Con Aero Comfort Plus (53PL), a soft sided case. I'll let you know how it works after it's first use in a couple o' weeks.

FWIW, I was considering that one and the Bike Pro Race case, another soft side case. Why soft side? Because I felt like it would be easier for the TSA gorillas to just have to zip a case closed instead of undoing some straps and buckles and then having to redo all that as well as reposition foam.

Here be a pic:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm.
That is a good point about the planet of the apes.
In the past I would actualy FedEx my bike and that was a little cheaper than taking it on the plane and avoids the search.
Seems like I would worry the soft case wouldn't withstand much punishment? Anyone have experience on this?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
141 Posts
vantongerloo said:
Hm.
That is a good point about the planet of the apes.
In the past I would actualy FedEx my bike and that was a little cheaper than taking it on the plane and avoids the search.
Seems like I would worry the soft case wouldn't withstand much punishment? Anyone have experience on this?
I thought you are allowed to have a bike case as a luggage. Why pay if you don't have to?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
LBK said:
I thought you are allowed to have a bike case as a luggage. Why pay if you don't have to?
Because airlines have weight and girth restrictions on luggage. Above a certain weight or dimensions greater than a certain number of inches (lenth + width + height), you have to pay. Exact requirements vary from airline to airline.

Here's the poop, as an example, of what Continental says:
"Checked Baggage Allowance: Three (3) pieces of baggage, each
piece of which having outside measurements (i.e., the sum of
the greatest outside length plus the greatest outside width
plus the greatest outside height) not exceeding sixty-two (62)
inches, not weighing more than fifty (50) pounds per piece,
and provided such baggage is checked for carriage in the cargo
hold of the aircraft. Baggage that exceeds these limits is
subject to an additional charge."
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top