Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm looking around for a decent road bike. I mainly want it for exercise, jogging is getting boring. My last bike was a GT Outpost from way back in 1994. It's finally past the point of reasonable repair, so I went to the local bike shop and was amazed that most road bikes *start* at $650. They had some hybrid bikes that were around $350, but they looked like they were more for casual biking, nothing intense. What do most reasonable road bikes go for? I won't mind paying $650 if I know it's a reasonable price and is going to last me a long time.

Also, I tried out one of the bikes in their parking lot and found that when I turned the wheel a bit, my toe would hit the wheel while pedaling. The guy at the shop said that happens on most road bikes and most people don't pedal while taking turns like that. Is that true? It doesn't seem right to me.

Ya, it's been a while since I've been biking...

·
Registered
425 Posts
road bike

What you experienced is toe overlap. It is common and it is not a big deal, unless you spend alot of time riding in slow circles in the parking lot. A good price is somewhere between 500 - 8000 dollars. Seriously, it really depends on what you want. The "sweet spot" is somewhere between 800-1200. You can get a full Ultegra group at the upper end of that range. At that price range, you are getting a bike that will not limit you in any way. It will be 98% as fast at the 8000 dollar bike.

Most importantly though....GET A BIKE THAT FITS!!!!!

Mike

·
Banned
476 Posts
depends where you buy

if you buy online or on ebay
you can get a great bike with 10 speed rear cassette and shifters for $995 or less

if you want that level in a bike shop it will be $1700 to $2000

if you spend $650 in a shop - you will get entry at best

·
Banned
476 Posts
easy

Mongoose said:
What defines an "entry level" bike? Speed isn't really an issue for me, I'm not looking to do any racing. I'm mainly going to be riding around the streets around town.

for your purpose - an entry bike has Sora
you should try to avoid that

Next level - Tiagra - is ok - but if you stay in sport long you will upgrade

then 105 -- good if you get new 10 speed version
count the gears on rr cassette - more important than total gears

Ultegra is the next to the top - you want that -- if you can get it in your price range

try ebay and online advertises here

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bike I was looking at in the shop was a Trek 1000. What do you guys think of that? I suppose I can get used to the toe overlap. It sounds like most other people get used to it and it's not much of an issue.

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Mongoose said:
The bike I was looking at in the shop was a Trek 1000. What do you guys think of that? I suppose I can get used to the toe overlap. It sounds like most other people get used to it and it's not much of an issue.

A trek 1000 is a fine bike for what it sounds like you will be doing. I use a 1000C for my commute.

When you rode it in the parking lot where was your foot in relation to the pedal? Did the pedal have cages on them? The overlap could have been exaggerated if you foot was to far forward on the pedals.

Also get a second opinion on the size. It may have been to small for you. However, as others have noted, if the bikes fits and you had a little overlap doing circles in the parking lot I don't think it will be a problem on the road even if you pedal the corners.

And Yes, roadies do pedal the corners sometimes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
riding arolund town?

Mongoose said:
Hello. I'm looking around for a decent road bike. I mainly want it for exercise, jogging is getting boring. My last bike was a GT Outpost from way back in 1994. It's finally past the point of reasonable repair, so I went to the local bike shop and was amazed that most road bikes *start* at $650. They had some hybrid bikes that were around $350, but they looked like they were more for casual biking, nothing intense. What do most reasonable road bikes go for? I won't mind paying $650 if I know it's a reasonable price and is going to last me a long time.

Also, I tried out one of the bikes in their parking lot and found that when I turned the wheel a bit, my toe would hit the wheel while pedaling. The guy at the shop said that happens on most road bikes and most people don't pedal while taking turns like that. Is that true? It doesn't seem right to me.

There's a lot of difference between riding around town in Artesia, NM, and riding around town in Queens, NY. Where is this town of yours?

Go to the local bike shop and find out when/where the local bicycle club meets: ie...
Wednesday at Shakey's at 7pm. You will have 40 bikers in a room at the same time (all with some degree of expertise). They can size up up right there (like going to a tailor). Who knows, one or more of them may have a bike they will sell you at a price that is very friendly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on the South Shore of MA; there isn't much traffic here but the roads can be a little rough. The pedals had cages on them. The shop guy said he could move the cages back a little bit, but then the balls of my feet would be slightly behind the pedal and I'd be putting more pressure on my toes.

I took a look at some more bikes and I'm thinking of going with a hybrid bike instead. I mainly want the bike for exercise so the speed of a road bike doesn't matter to me. Standing up straight means more air resistance too, but for exercising that's a good thing. The hybrids are also a bit cheaper. One of the bikes I looked at was the Trek 7200. They're assembling one in my size today so I'll probably go back tomorrow to give it a test run.

The Trek FX series looks interesting. Supposedly they are more fitness oriented. They don't look much different than the hybrids to me so I'm not sure what the difference is.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Beaches

Mongoose said:

Why do you guys call them shores and we guys call them beaches?

·
Registered
239 Posts
28 North Falmouth Road

Mongoose said:
Dunno. The South Shore is the whole area on South Eastern MA, not including the Cape. It included the area far from the shoreline for whatever reason.
As a kid, I spent summers with my aunt in uncle near Philadelphia; they vacationed in Hyannis; I know something about Buzzards Bay, Yarmouth, Dennis, etc.

Please come to Boston ( I have never been there; but I know a couple of avid Sox fans).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am a relative beginner. I bought a 7300FX last year and it is a great for MUT riding and very recreational stuff. Riding on the road is a chore and a half though particularly if going reasonable distances or in groups with road bikes. I am now using my cleaned-up 80's Peugeot more often as I prefer the road rides. If you are to have only one bike, make sure you get the style you will use the majority of the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just bought a Trek FX 7.2

I finally settled on the Trek FX 7.2. The hybrids had a soft, cushy feel that didn't feel well when peddaling hard and getting some speed. I took it out for a good 8 mile ride today and it felt great. The trigger style shifters are nice. They're much better than the old dial shifters I used to use. It's a bit bumpy on some of the less maintained roads around here. I'll have to find a good route with decent roads eventually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trek 7.2 FX

I bought a Trek 7.2 FX a few weeks ago, and I love it. Granted, I'm very new to biking..but I figured it would be a nice bike to start off. After riding my bike for 25 miles up the Chicago lake front, (I know real bikers would laugh at that distance) I felt that my wrists were rather sore from using the same position. I had my bike store install bontrager bar ends to the bike so that I can now vary my hand positions when riding. Hope this wasn't a silly addition to my bike. I hope to increase my distance in the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.