Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for the Icon parts on my Klein to go. The Rolfs, and the Icon stem are already are reducing the noodly front end on my classic Fat-Tube Al frame. I'm looking more for stiff bars than super light bars. I don't want to part with my Thompson so no oversize stuff. So who has stiff bars, are carbon stiffer than Al?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
cheaper ones..

Cheaper bars that aren't ultra light, like the ITM Pro 260 should be plenty stiff. Standard diameter carbon bars like the Easton EC-90 don't feel as stiff to me, but the only time I notice a lack of stiffness is if I deliberately push hard on the bars. During normal riding I don't notice it. I've never understood why people jerk that hard on the bars.

Another point is that it's impossible to distinguish stem stiffness from bar stiffness unless you swap just the bars or the stem and retest the combination.

All of the Ritchey stems that I've owned have seemed quite stiff. No complaints.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Kestrel EMS

G-reg said:
It's time for the Icon parts on my Klein to go. The Rolfs, and the Icon stem are already are reducing the noodly front end on my classic Fat-Tube Al frame. I'm looking more for stiff bars than super light bars. I don't want to part with my Thompson so no oversize stuff. So who has stiff bars, are carbon stiffer than Al?
I have the Kestrel EMS carbon bar. Plenty stiff, about 225 grams. May well be the best bar on the market right now.

·
Registered
602 Posts
kestrel carbon bars are the bomb!

DougSloan said:
I have the Kestrel EMS carbon bar. Plenty stiff, about 225 grams. May well be the best bar on the market right now.

I'm on my 2nd year with the Kestrel EMS. It IS the best bar on the market right now.

if you factor in: 1) price (very reasonable for carbon), 2) warranty (lifetime) and 3) performance- (stiff, relatively light) it would be hard to find an equal.

FWIW- I've never heard a bad word spoken 'bout the EMS...ever

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you prefer a classic non-ergo bend bar as I do, the best value going IMO is the TiTec Malone road bar. At around 250 grams it's not the lightest but it's plenty stiff and was designed to take the abuse of cyclocross racing. The bend nearly identical to the Ritchey WCS Classic bar but can be had for something like 13 bucks (retail 40) at chucksbikes.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
I've never ridden carbon bars...

G-reg said:
But I like my Ritchey Pro bars. Plenty stiff for my sprinting.

Mike

·
497 Posts
agree on the kestrels..

They are very stiff and no one I know of has complained about them. I've had mine for almost a year. They don't offer an ergonomic bend though. They are a bit heavier than most other carbon bars but they are stiffer, relatively-cheap, have cable grooves, and you can clip aerobars on them for time trials.

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
I'm looking more for stiff bars than super light bars.
...and if none of the above works out, then a short piece of #3 re-bar should do it. Real cheap at any brickyard, and they would probably try to put some ergo-bends in it for ya!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts