Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've never heard of a track headset. I'm guessing it just came off of a track bike. I have to question how this particular headset qualifies as being in "excellent shape," though!

·
Registered
330 Posts
There are track specific headsets, that usually differ from road by having lower stack height and possibly less shielding. But I think that auction is for a standard road Superbe HS, just being "marketed" to the fixed crowd.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Maybeck said:
There are track specific headsets, that usually differ from road by having lower stack height and possibly less shielding. But I think that auction is for a standard road Superbe HS, just being "marketed" to the fixed crowd.
Yep, I have a Dura Ace 7600 track headset. It has a lower stack height than the standard 7400 headset...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Track headset stack height?

Maybeck said:
There are track specific headsets, that usually differ from road by having lower stack height and possibly less shielding.
What's the purpose of the lower stack height? Just to be able to get the handlebars that much lower?

·
Registered
712 Posts
i have a DA 7600 track hdst on my wilier grammont nemo, used for road.

here are a few features:
- low stack height
-all stainless construction, you can sprint on this thig over nasty pave and it will never pit...these are made to sprint on, and handle the extreme load forces as in track match sprint.
-lowest weight of shimano
-was the highest priced of shim.
-beautiful pearlized blue color external cups.
also,
-no real enviromental seal, this just uses hard plastic rings. but this makes for extremely precise steering input, as there is no seal drag.
-for add'l seal, a headset gator such as a delta or lizardskin can be used.
-you should repack these often as there is no seal, however this hdst would work as well or better dry and gritty than any other w/ fresh grease!
-you gotta take care with the press on install, the plastic external cups will not handle press forces, need correct adaptor for press. do not assume an arrogant know it all bike shop wrench will know this.

i have found this to be the best, besides chris king, avbl period.

worldclasscycles has some maybe, nos.

got mine in a fierce ebay bidding war.

Dave Hickey said:
Yep, I have a Dura Ace 7600 track headset. It has a lower stack height than the standard 7400 headset...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts