Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping you guys might know what's causing a recent shifting problem. I have Campy Athena 11. When I shift the rear derailleur to a smaller cog, using the thumb shifter, the chain jumps several cogs. It feels like there is significant tension pushing back at me on the thumb shifter and when I shift down it relieves the tension by sending the chain way down the cassette. Starting on the largest cog, after just two shifts down, I'll end up on the smallest cog in my cassette. It does this both under load and on the bike stand. I only have trouble shifting to a smaller cog. Can shift up the cassette flawlessly. And once the chain settles in on a cog, it doesn't slip off; i.e. I'm not getting ghost shifts.

Could this be a bent hanger? A problem with the shifter itself? I'm usually pretty good at setting the limit screws and getting the cable tension right for the indexing, so I don't think it's an adjustment problem. I wasn't in a crash. I did recently replace the cables, but it was shifting fine for a while afterwards and when I loosened and reinstalled/readjusted the rear cable the problem didn't go away.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You don't say how old and how much shifting this lever has done.

I have not seen any problem like this reported yet for these shifters, but have to say it doesn't sound good.

You may be looking at a new shifter body assembly.
Yuck. The shifter is relatively new. Purchased brand new and installed in late 2010, I believe, and only ever used by me. I ride a lot, but not as much as some people on this board. I don't think I shift unreasonably often.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
A look at the internals may help explain my pessimism. Left to it's own, the RD is sprung to go towards the smallest sprocket. Within the shifter is a pawl and circular ratchet arrangement, where the pawl engages the ratchet one tooth at a time on the upshift, and if it engages properly, one shift is all it makes. If its not engaging properly, then the RD will do what yours is doing, ie slip. You could try to disassemble the rear part of the shifter to see if there's anything obvious gumming up the works, but the bad news is that Campy no longer makes small parts available. If it's not fixable, then the solution is a replacement body assy.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/SPARES2013-PART_A-27-11-12.pdf

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not a campy specific suggestion, but how old are the cables? If you have a fraying cable inside the shifter, it'll do all kinds of inconsistent things. If limits and indexing are set, and the problem persists, the very next thing to check is cable friction/binding etc.. Best of luck though. That's too young of a shifter to be discussing the possibility of actual failure, no matter what component group you're talking about. If it's failed (and has fewer than 20,000 miles on it) I'd be disappointed.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yuck. The shifter is relatively new. Purchased brand new and installed in late 2010, I believe, and only ever used by me. I ride a lot, but not as much as some people on this board. I don't think I shift unreasonably often.
Half empty or half full, the shifter has been on the bike for 2+ years, as mentioned have you replaced cables, lubed things (preventive maintenance?). Remove the cable from the derailleur and take a look at how smoothly it moves.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Wasn't there a time when Athena 11 allowed you to dump the chain across the whole cassette (from largest to smallest cog) with one or two pushes of the shift button? Just thinking out loud here—there may not be anything broken inside the shifter.

·
9,790 Posts
Wasn't there a time when Athena 11 allowed you to dump the chain across the whole cassette (from largest to smallest cog) with one or two pushes of the shift button? Just thinking out loud here—there may not be anything broken inside the shifter.
Two pushes of the thumb button. I specifically searched for "last year's" Athena when I built my Cyfac 2 years ago.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Two pushes of the thumb button.
Thanks, I couldn't remember.

What got me thinking on this was the fact that sometimes people discover some function by accident and interpret this as something having gone wrong when, in fact, it's a design feature new to them. Not all that likely given the OP having operated the shifter for quite a while. But still, it's a remote possibility if the shifter is the right model year.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Yep, my mistake. I keep forgetting that Athena used to be Ultrashift in 2010.

OP please ignore my posts above. They refer to the current Powershift Athenas.

Spares ref for 2010 is http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares10-A-010909.pdf

Wim may be on to the explanation. OP might not have realized what is normal (and the big selling point!) feature of Ultrashift.

·
Banned
443 Posts
I had a Shimano ST-5600 that did the same thing. I fiddled around with it on the bike then took it off and found that when under tension it could not hold the RD to just one shift. But take the tension off and it worked fine. Opened it up and found the pawl that holds it under tension was broken. It was in place but saw that once under tension it would cock to one side and let the gear slip by.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much everyone. It's not the double-click action on an ultra-shift shifter unfortunately. I bought the shifters in late 2010, but they're the 2011 line (the silly "power-shift" model, not the ultra shift). When I bought them, I didn't realize they had done away with the ability to down shift multiple cogs and was disappointed with myself for not getting 2010 shifters.

I suspect bikerjulio was right the first time and that the problem is with the prawl. That's what it feels like. Something doesn't feel right in the internals when I push the button. Too much tension and vibration or something. I'm going to play with the shifter again later this evening and see if I get it working right. If you have any tips in that regard, I'd be happy to hear them, because the shifter is like a foreign language to me and I'm winging it now.

Really, thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I tried to find a video on these, but no luck.

OP can be a pioneer and start dissassembly from the back - just undo the screw and the relevant bits will come apart - see the tech drawing for the powershift. The only tricky part is the spring that hook onto the thumb lever.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
I am willing to bet it's a cable issue. Having the cable fastened on the wrong side of the screw on the rear derailleur will do that as will not having the cable housing end square or seated properly in the ferrule. Consider that if you cut your housing while the cable is straight, when you bend it, the end is no longer square.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I am willing to bet it's a cable issue. Having the cable fastened on the wrong side of the screw on the rear derailleur will do that as will not having the cable housing end square or seated properly in the ferrule. Consider that if you cut your housing while the cable is straight, when you bend it, the end is no longer square.
I can't see this being the OP's issue, at least the way I read the original post. He has a powershift lever, and one click of the thumb shifter sends the chain down 4 or 5 sprockets. sticky cable wouldn't do that.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
I never mentioned a sticky cable, nor do the possibilities I listed cause the same issues as a sticky cable. I understand what he said. I also understand that the thumb shifter releases cable and the paddle tightens it. As for the cable possibly being on the wrong side of the screw, THAT changes the shape of the parallelogram at the rear derailleur and can cause it as well.

edit: and the fact that it started shortly after cable replacement supports my hypothesis.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there. Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Ive experienced the exact same problem twice now with Athena 11 spd shifters. Devastated, thinking of selling out and going shi...shiii....ssshhhi....no can't say it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Mccoq - I never got to the bottom of it and I never opened up the internals like bikerjulio suggested. I think I still have those messed up Athena shifters if someone wants to give it a try. I switched to Record and have not had the same problem.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Hi Mccoq - I never got to the bottom of it and I never opened up the internals like bikerjulio suggested. I think I still have those messed up Athena shifters if someone wants to give it a try. I switched to Record and have not had the same problem.
At least you didn't go Shi..... Shi....... I can't say it either......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.