Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a set of Velomax Vista wheels w/ a Miche Campy compatible cassette on my cross bike and I'd get some clicking on every pedal stroke, the more pressure the worst it got, I figured it was just the crankset but have not been able to fix it so far...so the other day I end up throwing the wheels on my Bianchi road bike which had Easton Vista SL wheels (and it was as quiet as could be) but now with the Velomax wheels from my cross bike all I hear is creaking on every pedal stroke, I noticed that it mostly happens on the upper half of the gears on the cassette (19-25T), I'm assuming the issue I had with the cross bike is related to the road bike issue, which means that it's something to do with the wheels (I'm assuming rear). So...question is, what could be causing this? Would it be the freewheel on the hub? How do I fix it?

My cross bike was being used all winter as a "crappy weather bike" so I'm guessing it's possible that the hub may just need a good cleaning but I'm open to suggestions. Also, I have not been able to throw another pair of wheels on the cross bike out to see if the clicking has gone away since it's in pieces at the moment.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
DRLski said:
I had a set of Velomax Vista wheels w/ a Miche Campy compatible cassette on my cross bike and I'd get some clicking on every pedal stroke, the more pressure the worst it got, I figured it was just the crankset but have not been able to fix it so far...so the other day I end up throwing the wheels on my Bianchi road bike which had Easton Vista SL wheels (and it was as quiet as could be) but now with the Velomax wheels from my cross bike all I hear is creaking on every pedal stroke, I noticed that it mostly happens on the upper half of the gears on the cassette (19-25T), I'm assuming the issue I had with the cross bike is related to the road bike issue, which means that it's something to do with the wheels (I'm assuming rear). So...question is, what could be causing this? Would it be the freewheel on the hub? How do I fix it?

My cross bike was being used all winter as a "crappy weather bike" so I'm guessing it's possible that the hub may just need a good cleaning but I'm open to suggestions. Also, I have not been able to throw another pair of wheels on the cross bike out to see if the clicking has gone away since it's in pieces at the moment.
If you want to isolate the noise try just swapping out one wheel at a time on your road bike from the suspect set. Once you isolate which wheel is the culprit check spoke tension and then check the rim for cracks.

I had something similar happen once when the bead of the tire wouldn't fit down around where the tube stem was on a set of narrow rimmed wheels. It seemed ok when I stopped but what was happening was the the wheel bead was just seating/coming a bit unseated every rev. of the wheel. It kinda sounded like my cyclocomputer magnet was hitting the sensor but it still continued after the magnet was removed. Changing the tire/tube combo fixed it immediately

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.